jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How do I ... (logging)
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2006 20:09:25 GMT
On 24/10/06, Philip Peake <philip@vogon.net> wrote:
> sebb wrote:
> > On 23/10/06, Philip Peake <philip@vogon.net> wrote:
> >> I have a  number of username/password pairs. Some of these are known to
> >> be bad and need to be reset. Exactly which ones, and how many is
> >> unknown.
> >> I have a very simple script to run through these and try a login:
> >>
> >>  TestPlan
> >>       Threads
> >>             Username/Password (read from file)
> >>              HTTP Cookie headers
> >>              HTTP Request defaults
> >>
> >>              HTTP Request (Login screen)
> >>              HTTP Request (Submit login)
> >>                     Response assertion
> >>                     Result action handler (continue)
> >
> > No need for this; the default action is continue anyway
> Probably - "continue" probably needs some clarification in the
> documentation -- does it mean ignore the error condition, or does it
> mean continue as in the sense of continue within a loop, which
> short-circuits the rest of the execution and goes back to the top?

Continue means continue the test,  rather than stopping the thread or
the whole test.

> >>              View results tree
> >>              Aggregate graph
> >>
> >> Now, I originally thought I could log only errors in the "view results
> >> tree" listener, and log to a file. Unfortunately, it logs only results,
> >> and although the information is in the GUI display there seems no way to
> >> log most of it.
> >
> > The Configure button can be used to change the fields that are logged.
> >
> > However, if the response does not contain the id, then at present
> > there is no way to add a variable to the output.
> >
> > Depending on your application, you may be able to add some dummy
> > information to the URL. Or you could try adding the user id to the
> > submit login screen sampler label.
> >
> >> All I want to do is log ${username} to a file when the "Submit Login"
> >> returns an error, as detected by the "Response Assertion" element.
> >> Please don't say BeanShell -- maybe its just my unfamiliarity with Java,
> >> but that just does not work. There are no working examples that I can
> >> find, and even when I did get a trivial test working (took days ...) it
> >
> > There are some basic examples in the documentation and the extras
> > directory, but BeanShell is intended for those familiar with Java.
> >
> >> doesn't work as defined in the documentation (ordering issues).
> >
> > That is a generic JMeter bug - nothing to do with BeanShell...
> >
> >> The _log() function looked promising -- but I can't find any element
> >> which allows me to test the result status with a field which will take a
> >> function.
> >
> > You can put the __log() function anywhere that you can use a variable.
> >
> >> How do I do this? It seems sucha  fundamental thing to want to do that I
> >> assume there must be a way...
> >
> > See above.
> Well, since there is nowhere that a variable can be placed which is only
> executed on failure -- it can't be done, can it?

The Listeners do have a check box to only save samples to file on error.

Furthermore, the If Controller can be used to check if the last result
was successful or not - see the documentation for details.

> As I said ... a really basic thing to expect to be able to do, and it
> can't be done.

It can be done - there are several ways - as I described above and previously.

> Its particularly annoying that the View Results Tree listener has
> displays all the information needed, but has no way to dump that output
> into a file.

Where is the information in the Tree Listener? As far as I am aware,
all the fields in the sample result can be written to the file - but
you do have to use the Configure button to select the appropriate
fields.

Try it and see.