jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Oliver Erlewein \(DSLWN\)" <Oliver.Erlew...@datacom.co.nz>
Subject RE: Problem with Jmeter
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 01:27:09 GMT
Hi Srinims,

My experience is that Java seems to get unstable at about 70 threads
(dependant on script). The thread switching within Java does not seem to
be the best (i.e. you have limitations on Java). I'd go for Java
1.5.0_0x at least as it includes a lot of bugfixes.

Use Linux instead of Windows because Windows has too much overhead. It's
OK to design your Jmeter tests on Windows and do trial runs but for
execution I'd use some Unix. If the script is a little more complex
(i.e. you load more than one static page) 220 threads is way too much.
You will probably also notice that Jmeter (actually Java) will influence
your response times significantly because the threads can't keep up and
these delays are included in the measurements.

What I did (under Linux) is start more than one jmeter server. The
context switching of the OS is better than that of Java. i.e. run
multiple Jmeter instances with about 50 threads each and then merge the
test results after the test. You can't use the client/server option in
Jmeter but you'll have to do this manually.

This is based upon my experiences with Jmeter 2.1.1. I have not yet
managed to run big tests on 2.2.

Cheers Oliver