jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Gaël LHEZ <gl...@glowria.fr>
Subject RE: Having 1000 threads (also fails with 500 and 200) for the test, and only ~600 in logs
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2006 15:49:00 GMT
I'm using the console since it's quicker :)

(and does not eat up memory for Swing)

I can go up to 650 users, but I was just wandering why I add only that since
I was using 1000 threads.

Thanks for the answers :)

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Peter Lin [mailto:woolfel@gmail.com]
Envoyé : lundi 10 juillet 2006 14:06
À : JMeter Users List
Objet : Re: Having 1000 threads (also fails with 500 and 200) for the test,
and only ~600 in logs

On 7/10/06, Gaël LHEZ <glhez@glowria.fr> wrote:

> Well :)
>
> If you can explain, why when I do 200 threads, with enough iteration,
> I can go up to 190 users? :)
>
> However I understand the limits here, but I can't add machine as I'm
> comparing to a production server.

the explanation is pretty simple really. JMeter is doing a lot of work, so
if you're testing a simple webpage, the server is able to respond much
faster than a single JMeter instance. I've been able to get up to 350
concurrent threads on Tomcat using 2 jmeter instances on 2 systems going
against a single webserver on a third system.

one way to improve things is to run jmeter in console mode, which should
help it generate higher loads (aka more concurrent requests). Though
realistically, sustaining 200 concurrent requests on the server means a lot
of traffic. 40 concurrent requests/second adds up to over 10million page
views per day.

hope that helps

peter