jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Curelea, Alexandru" <acure...@northnetwork.com>
Subject RE: Load testing streaming media
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 21:05:05 GMT
Peter,

I'm glad to hear it should work.  Sounds like we'll just have to try it and see what happens.

We assumed that one client box wouldn't be enough, and it is very helpful to have a rough
idea of what resources we'd need.

Thanks for the advice and the article,

Alex

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Lin [mailto:woolfel@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 4:29 PM
To: JMeter Users List
Subject: Re: Load testing streaming media

if the media file is accessible as a normal URL, you should be able to just
create a test plan with the correct URL and start the test.

though 200 concurrent users with a single client will be challenging. With a
constant stream of data, I'm gonna guess the max throughput will be less
than 20 users. this means you'll need to have 10-15 client systems to really
test the server.

Also, 200 concurrent requests for streaming data is going to eat up a ton of
bandwidth. Chances are, unless you have 200Mb of bandwidth, you won't be
able to handle that kind of load.  Most business use media hosting providers
for videos. I have some rough numbers in the performance article on jmeter's
article page.

http://cvs.apache.org/~woolfel/article.zip

peter