jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Layton, Andrew" <andrew.lay...@atosorigin.com>
Subject RE: How to convert JMeter User Defined Variable between strings and integers?
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:02:53 GMT
Thanks for this:  the function does indeed add an integer to a variable
despite the latter appearing to be a string otherwise.

I embedded this in a Sampler:

${__intSum(${var_1},4,var_1)} //  adds 4 to var_1 as expected.

Regards
Andrew Layton

-----Original Message-----
From: sebb [mailto:sebbaz@gmail.com]
Sent: 22 June 2006 10:43
To: JMeter Users List
Subject: Re: How to convert JMeter User Defined Variable between strings
and integers?

Note that there is a JMeter function for adding numbers:

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/functions.html#__intSum

Also, there are various Counters you can use.

Maybe you don't need BeanShell.

S.
On 22/06/06, Layton, Andrew <andrew.layton@atosorigin.com> wrote:
> I have reached the stage of including a Beanshell sampler and
successfully accessing UDV variables.
> Beanshell can put integers and / or strings into response message for
a regex extractor to take them out again - I am able to get the time in
millisec as a string.
> The Question: how to get a string number from a User Variable and
convert to integer, say just to increment numerically?
> I guess that this could be done using a local int variable or Integer
object, but how?
> My upbringing is C and I cannot claim Java knowledge; however most of
my Beanshell code works as expected and required, i.e I can do string
_or_ integer operations on local variables OK, and vars.get( ) and
vars.put ( ) work too.
> According to Java docs I have read, a variable of class Integer should

> be creatable with a string as its argument - but this won't work -
causes an error.
> Attempting valueOf ( ) or parseInt ( ) from Java  doc also cause an
error.
> Trying the methods allegedly allowed by Java on a class String cause
errors in Beanshell Sampler execution
> (error   messages are coarse-grained and  unhelpful:
>  HTTP response code 500 and response message:
"org.apache.jorphan.util.JMeterException: Error invoking bsh method
eval"
> //
> I found info on StringBuffer in a Java book - this looks tantalising
> again but I still can't see how to use it without error or a void
value I have included more notes and comments below.
> Help please !
> // sprintf ( "what %d", a ) ; // this causes an error with valid int a

> ; fair enough it's C code // print (a ) ; // no error but dunno where
> the result goes to // // //  Integer rc ("234" ) ; // as shown in
> Javadoc: causes an error // Integer rc = "999" ; // Fails -
> unsurprising //  rc = parseInt ("324" ) ;  // error
> Integer rc ; // // Works OK !  rc is an Integer which is happy with an
int.   - see later
> String argh = "234" ;  // this line works OK //  rc = valueOf ( argh
> ); // error // rc = argh.valueOf ( ) ;  // error  rc = 999 ; // can
> assign value to an Integer String foo = "Foo" ; // OK foo = foo +
> rc.toString ( ) ; // CAN convert Integer to string - foo gets
> concatenation as expected //CAN access variables as strings and copy
> to local String variable - this one is "88" as set earlier in script
> String bar = vars.get("Siebel_Count") ; // rc = bar ;  // can't just
> assign integer to string // // rc = bar.toInteger ( ) ;// Fails
> // rc = Integer (bar ) ;   // Fails
> //  StringBuffer SB ; // no error but what use is this?
> StringBuffer SB ( bar ) ; //  no error but SB is void when
> concatenated into ResponseMessage as below //  SB =  "bar"  ;  //
> error // Some working code - integer arithmetic int  result ; int a =
> 4 ;
>    result = (a+3) * 6 ; // CAN do arithmetic on these int variables
>    rc = rc + result ; // OK to add int to Integer //  //  foo =
> toString (result ) ; // Error ResponseMessage = "output =  "  + foo  +

> " " + result  + " " + (rc+3) + "SB = " + SB ;  // OK with integers or
strings: concatenates not adds!