jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to convert JMeter User Defined Variable between strings and integers?
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 09:42:51 GMT
Note that there is a JMeter function for adding numbers:

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/functions.html#__intSum

Also, there are various Counters you can use.

Maybe you don't need BeanShell.

S.
On 22/06/06, Layton, Andrew <andrew.layton@atosorigin.com> wrote:
> I have reached the stage of including a Beanshell sampler and successfully accessing
UDV variables.
> Beanshell can put integers and / or strings into response message for a regex extractor
to take them out again - I am able to get the time in millisec as a string.
> The Question: how to get a string number from a User Variable and convert to integer,
say just to increment numerically?
> I guess that this could be done using a local int variable or Integer object, but how?
> My upbringing is C and I cannot claim Java knowledge; however most of my Beanshell code
works as expected and required, i.e I can do string _or_ integer operations on local variables
OK, and vars.get( ) and vars.put ( ) work too.
> According to Java docs I have read, a variable of class Integer should be creatable with
a string as its argument -
> but this won't work - causes an error.
> Attempting valueOf ( ) or parseInt ( ) from Java  doc also cause an error.
> Trying the methods allegedly allowed by Java on a class String cause errors in Beanshell
Sampler execution
> (error   messages are coarse-grained and  unhelpful:
>  HTTP response code 500 and response message: "org.apache.jorphan.util.JMeterException:
Error invoking bsh method eval"
> //
> I found info on StringBuffer in a Java book - this looks tantalising again but I still
can't see how to use it without error or a void value
> I have included more notes and comments below.
> Help please !
> // sprintf ( "what %d", a ) ; // this causes an error with valid int a ; fair enough
it's C code
> // print (a ) ; // no error but dunno where the result goes to
> //
> //
> //  Integer rc ("234" ) ; // as shown in Javadoc: causes an error
> // Integer rc = "999" ; // Fails - unsurprising
> //  rc = parseInt ("324" ) ;  // error
> Integer rc ; // // Works OK !  rc is an Integer which is happy with an int.   - see later
> String argh = "234" ;  // this line works OK
> //  rc = valueOf ( argh ); // error
> // rc = argh.valueOf ( ) ;  // error
>  rc = 999 ; // can assign value to an Integer
> String foo = "Foo" ; // OK
> foo = foo + rc.toString ( ) ; // CAN convert Integer to string - foo gets concatenation
as expected
> //CAN access variables as strings and copy to local String variable - this one is "88"
as set earlier in script
> String bar = vars.get("Siebel_Count") ;
> // rc = bar ;  // can't just assign integer to string //
> // rc = bar.toInteger ( ) ;// Fails
> // rc = Integer (bar ) ;   // Fails
> //  StringBuffer SB ; // no error but what use is this?
> StringBuffer SB ( bar ) ; //  no error but SB is void when concatenated into ResponseMessage
as below
> //  SB =  "bar"  ;  // error
> // Some working code - integer arithmetic
> int  result ;
> int a = 4 ;
>    result = (a+3) * 6 ; // CAN do arithmetic on these int variables
>    rc = rc + result ; // OK to add int to Integer //
>  //  foo = toString (result ) ; // Error
> ResponseMessage = "output =  "  + foo  + " " + result  + " " + (rc+3) + "SB = " + SB
;  // OK with integers or strings: concatenates not adds!