jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bandwidth considerations when using remote testing
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:16:31 GMT
On 23/11/05, Christensen, Alan <alan.christensen@hp.com> wrote:

> I'd like to run load tests from my home office.  I'd like to use a
> remote test machine at work to drive the test, but have my PC displaying
> progress of the test.  I'm connected over a VPN to work.  The intent is
> to reduce the bandwidth over my ISP connection by only having aggregated
> test results displayed on my local PC.  However, I find that the data
> bandwidth over the VPN when running a remote test and using an aggregate
> report listener on my PC is almost as high as running the test directly
> from my PC.  (~10MB/min).  This seems strange to me as I would have

Yes, every sample is returned by default.
The other options are batching (same total data, but in batches)
and at the end (won't help you here).

> expected the results handling to be fairly minimal when dealing with the
> aggregate listener.  Is there a way to reduce the aggregate report
> update frequency so that the bandwidth requirements fall off
> significantly?

Not yet.

> Or another approach completely that still gives me a way
> to track progress of the test?

If you use non-GUI mode, you can configure the test to include a
Summariser - see jmeter.properties. You can direct the summaries to
System.out.

S.