jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Vinod Panicker <vino...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Dependency support for threads
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:46:11 GMT
> The latest version of the TCP Sampler opens one socket for each
> identical host:port combination in each thread.
> [Different thread sockets to the same destination can be achieved by
> using e.g. localhost:8888 and LocalHost:8888.]
>
> The current implementation assumes a request/response protocol, but it
> should be quite easy to extend that to provide separate send and
> receive samplers. Either as a new Sampler, or perhaps better by adding
> some options to the existing one. I can do that part.
>
> It should also be fairly simple to implement your own protocol - see
> TCPClientImpl.java for the default. I can help with that if required.

Basically I'm trying to do some load tests on an XMPP server.  So the
protocol is not simple - it involves TLS as well as SASL before it
comes to presence and stuff.  Testing anything other than presence and
IM is straightforward - we've already done that.  But the test code is
increasingly becoming non-JMeter.  If there was a simple example like
the TCPSampler that did async communication, it would have given me a
head start.  If I had some more time I'd sit down with the JMeter
manual and create this sampler.  I'll take a look at the existing
example and see what i can do.

Regards,
Vinod.

> On 11/08/05, Vinod Panicker <vinod.p@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 8/11/05, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I'm not convinced that you need separate threads to run this test.
> > >
> > > If you want to send a message on one connection, and then wait until a
> > > message arrives on another connection, then it seems to me that these
> > > can be in the same thread.
> >
> > Any pointers on how this can be achieved or should I RTFM?  Its not
> > necessary that the two connections are independent execution units.  I
> > could make do with just one thread.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Vinod.

 So I want to be