jmeter-user mailing list archives

From jande...@umich.edu
Subject Memory leaks - large and uncollected
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 19:06:47 GMT
Hi,

I've created a script which generates thousands of HTTP requests; the
script seems to work fine, but I'm seeing a large memory leak in JMeter
itself.  Before you write this off as a "newbie" question, here is
everything I've tried to do to fix it:

1.  Deleting _all_ listeners.  I still see the memory leak, even when
running without any listeners.
2.  Stopping the test and doing "Clear all".  The memory is _not_
reclaimed, even after a full garbage collection.
3.  Increasing the memory available to JMeter to 1GB.  As the test runs,
the memory usage climbs until its doing continuous full garbage
collections.  Eventually an OutOfMemory exception occurs.
4.  Switching the HTML parser from the default to the RegexpHTMLParser.
Still see the same memory leak, albeit slower.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?  It appears to be a slow leak
per-request.  I'm running XP against an SSL-enabled server.  Does SSL leak
memory per-connection?  "netstat -n" shows thousands of connections - and
it looks like they don't go away until JMeter quits.

I only see the leak if I do on the order of 100,000+ HTTP requests.  I can
send interested parties the script to test for themselves.  I'm not
attaching the script now since its 500KB.

I really need to figure out what is going wrong.  I'm about to attempt to
run a memory profiler (OptimizeIt) on JMeter to determine where the leak is
under-the-covers...

Thanks,

-Jon Andersen
The Sakai Project