jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Peter Lin <wool...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Memory leaks - large and uncollected
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 19:14:32 GMT
I've run optimizeIt on Jmeter about 3 dozen times when I wrote the
various samplers like Webservice, jms, accesslog and tomcat monitor.
Under normal conditions, JMeter's memory usage is constant. I've run
tests using OptimizeIt on JMeter for 500K, 1million and 2 million
requests.

what I haven't done is try it on SSL. I believe there's a known bug
with Sun's SSL implementation which results in connections not closing
and resulting in OutOfMemoryException.  The solution to that is to use
HttpClient sampler instead of the default one.

the default http sampler uses the Sun implementation, which I believe
exhibits that behavior. the HttpClient version should perform better.
You can also verify this by using HTTP with the same test instead of
HTTPS. If the bug doesn't appear in non-secure HTTP, it would support
the idea that HTTPS is the cause.

I know that some EJB containers use Sun implementation for SSL/HTTPS
and they exhibit the same exact bug. If those connections are
time_wait and aren't getting cleaned up, it's very likely the known
SSL bug.

peter