jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: TCP session
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:37:29 GMT
On 21/07/05, srikanth peddireddy <srikanth_mails@yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> Hi Sebb,
>
> can you please answer some more questions on this topic. I gave some of my
> assumptions and dopubts below your response
>
> >>The current TCP Sampler creates a new socket for each sampler
> >>occurrence in each thread. I do plan to add re-usable sockets to the
> >>TCP Sampler, but that probably won't be for a few weeks.
>
> First I planned to extend the TCPsampler by myself and though of a design
> like this :
>     There will be a specialized TcpSampler(for discussion lets call it
> SharedTcpSampler) . Instances of this SharedTcpSampler will be used for all
> the TCP requests that we want to make to a server over a single
> connection/socket.
>   This SharedTcpSampler will have a property called "sharedSocketReference"
> which will be something like a reference name that we give to a global
> counter inorder to use it else where in testplan.
>   Each SharedTcpSampler will first try to get the socket instance by
> searching for it in a Global NameSpace (Iam yet to know what this Global
> Name Space would be in Jmeter context) by giving the "sharedSocketReference"
> value that user will configure in testplan.
>
> If this search is successful,( ie some other SharedTcpSampler  in the
> testplan has already created a socket connection and registered it under
> this name), then it will send its "Text To send" (inherited from TcpSampler)
> over that socket and reads back the response.
>
> If this search fails , which will be the case with first SharedTcpSampler in
> the testplan , it will create a new socket and register it in a Global
> NameSpace under the name specified in "sharedSocketReference" and continues
> using it for implmenting the protocol
>
> So in this solution, all the SharedTcpSamplers in a testplan with same value
> given in their  "sharedSocketReference" property will share a single socket
> connection. Hence I think it will serve the purpose.

You need also to consider how to handle socket errors - if one sampler
detects a problem, it may need to close the socket and delete the
reference.

And the socket ought to be closed at the end of a test run (not
essential if you only run a test once and then exit JMeter).

> But I know that inorder to implement this I need to know the architecture of
> Jmeter and different components of it in detail. I was unable to study this
> any further as I was tied to some other work. :-(
> Sebb, can you please tell me whether this design fits the bill. If yes
> please direct me towards some resources thru which I can quickly learn about
> architecture and components of Jemter and implement this.
> Iam planning to do this as soon as possible. :-)

See above

> >>One way to re-use the same socket might to have only a single sampler,
> >>and vary the content of the request using a function call to read it
> >>from a file.
>
> can you elAborate on this or tell me about the resources where I can find
> details.

Read the Manual (Functions), JMeter FAQ and the extending JMeter
documents in the xdocs/extending directory in CVS.

> >>However, I've not tried this.
>

> ==
>
> >>Note that the TCPSampler class is the one that creates the socket. The
> >>TCPClientImpl class uses the socket to implement the protocol.
>
> >>The current protocol sends the string as is, and reads bytes until the
> >>EOL byte is seen. EOL can be defined by the property tcp.eolByte.
>
> In my application all server responses end with a "5".
> We achive this by appending (char)5 at the end to the String to be sent .
>
> like         String txtTosend = "some data "+(char)5
>
>                stream.write(txtTosend.getBytes());
>

> So now can I give 5 for  tcp.eolByte so that Jmeter reads entire response
> string/data ???

So long as "5" does not appear anywhere else in the data, yes.
Otherwise you'll need to create your own TCPClientImpl class.

> ==
>
> >>JMeter is built around the assumption of a request/response sample.
>
> >>There's currently no provision for reading from a socket without
> >>previously writing to it, but that would be trivial to add - I may
> >>well add that to the nightly code shortly. Or indeed it may already
> >>work if you provide an empty string.
>
> >>But the test plan would have to include samplers for each expected
> >>server response.
>
> >>If a single client request results in a known number of responses, or
> >>there is some other way of telling that the server has finished
> >>responding to the original request, then the TCPClientImpl read()
> >>method could implement this.
>
> can you eloborate on this or tell me about the resources where I can find
> details.
> S.

See above. Also have a look at the source for the classes I mentioned.