jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Peter Lin <wool...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Multiple port configuration
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:08:34 GMT
looking at your email address, I'm guessing you're working on mobile
applications.

for async webservices, I'm bias against HTTP. Several months back I
considered writing a J2ME JMS driver for SideKickII, so that I could
use JMS to send/recieve Multimedia messages.

Using HTTP for Async messages is an ugly hack and ultimately isn't
going to scale very well. I know ObjectWeb has KJoram for J2ME and IBM
has a J2ME client for MQSeries. In theory, writing an async HTTP
client isn't all that hard, but the catch is you really do need to use
Keep alive connections.

Depending on the type of wireless device, and whether it has a
dynamic/static IP, sending the response back to the client may not be
feasible without keeping the connection alive. I would strongly
recommend looking at JMS approach rather than async HTTP. Even though
the data rates for mobile phones have improved, a page that is large
will have a hard time getting through reliably. this is still true
today in ATT, and Verizon data services.

I hope that helps

peter

On 6/15/05, Bronagh McElduff <Bronagh.McElduff@mobilecohesion.com> wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Basically our application uses SOAP-based communication, mainly XML. It
> receives a SOAP messages, and sends back a meaningless response. It is
> only later when our application informs the client, using an HTTP
> request on the client, about the results of the processing. It is these
> so-called /asynchronous SOAP messages/ (transported over HTTP) that I am
> interested in capturing.
>
> Can JMeter be configured or extended to mimic this behaviour?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Bronagh
>
> Michael Stover wrote:
>
> >How do clients use your app?  Is every client a server?  If so, JMeter
> >is not designed to mimic such behavior.
> >
> >-Mike
> >
> >On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 08:59 +0100, Bronagh McElduff wrote:
> >

> >>Hi,
> >>

> >>I wish to configure JMeter to submit a message on localhost:9999 and collect
this message as it leaves localhost:9191 for example.

> >>Is this achievable? I have tried various ways to do this but it seems that it
is only possible to test the request / response on the same port.  However, I specifically
need to confirm the modifications that our system makes to the message as it travels through
our system and no simply that the message has been successfully received.