jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Buechi Martin" <Martin.Bue...@avaloq.com>
Subject RE: Remote Thread Naming and other suggestions
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:33:40 GMT
Mike,

I think that there was some misunderstanding. All I am looking for is to be able to use functions
like ${__property()} in the File Name of the File Reporter and in Custom Variables of the
Test Plan.

Any thoughts on my other wishes:

- Thread naming for remote servers.

- Remote servers as Windows services.

- RMI registry in same VM as remote server.

Regards,

Martin

P.S.	I really like JMeter. Please let me know if you are looking for contributions in the
above areas.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Stover [mailto:mstover1@apache.org]
Sent: Freitag, 25. März 2005 15:25
To: JMeter Users List
Subject: Re: Remote Thread Naming and other suggestions

I'm leery of making file attributes fully dynamic - one could easily end
up creating a huge number of new files and file handles and bring JMeter
to a crashing halt.  I'm not sure I can see any value in being able to
change the file you're reading or logging to in the middle of a test.

What needs to happen, IMO, is one should be able to use functions like
${__property()} in the TestPlan element to set up such static variables
at the start of the test.  Right now, this doesn't work, and it should.

-Mike

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 16:57 +0100, Buechi Martin wrote:
> All,
>
> To me it seems unfortunate that when multiple remote_hosts are used, there are multiple
threads with the same thread names in the XML output. This makes the output less useful. Would
it be possible to add the IP address (InetAddress.getLocalHost()) of the host at the end of
the thread name in StandardJMeterEngine or is the functionality that I am looking for already
available?

> Next question: By modifying FunctionProperty.getStringValue to the following, I can use
property values, e.g., ${__property(report.dir)}/file.xml in the File Reporter. Would it be
possible to take this modification into the release?

>     public String getStringValue() {
>         log.debug("Calling getStringValue from FunctionProperty");
>         log.debug("boogedy boogedy");
>         JMeterContext ctx = JMeterContextService.getContext();//Expensive, so do once
>         int iter = 0;
>         JMeterVariables var = ctx.getVariables();
>         if (var != null) {
>             iter = ctx.getVariables().getIteration();
>             if (iter < testIteration) {
>                 testIteration = -1;
>             }
>         }
>         if (iter > testIteration || cacheValue == null) {
>             testIteration = iter;
>             cacheValue = function.execute();
>         }
>         return cacheValue;
>     }
>
> Unfortunately, this doesn't yet solve the problems of resolving variables in the Custom
Variables of the Test Plan because the replacer is not used in PreCompiler.addNode. Could
this also be fixed, please? I am happy to help, if desired.

> I find it kind of annoying that a separate VM is required for the RMI registry in remote
servers. Hence, I have created my own startup class. Probably, you would want to execute the
registry creation part only if there is an i such that "-r".equals(args[i]):

> public class Startup {
>
>     public static void main(String[] args) throws Throwable {
>         try {
>             String base = Startup.class.getProtectionDomain().getCodeSource().getLocation().toString();
>             int index = base.lastIndexOf("/bin/");
>             base = base.substring(0, index + 1);
>             String codebase = base + "lib/ext/ApacheJMeter_core.jar" + " " + base + "lib/jorphan.jar"
+ " " + base + "lib/logkit-1.2.jar";
>             System.setProperty("java.rmi.server.codebase", codebase);
>             System.setSecurityManager(new SecurityManager() {
>
>                 public void checkPermission(Permission perm) {
>                 }
>
>                 public void checkPermission(Permission perm, Object context) {
>                 }
>             });
>             LocateRegistry.createRegistry(1099);
>             NewDriver.main(args);
>         } catch (Throwable t) {
>             t.printStackTrace();
>             throw t;
>         } finally {
>         }
>     }
> }
>
> I have used InstallAnywhere to turn the JMeter remote engine into a Windows service.
However, I think it would be even better if the Java Service Wrapper (http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org/doc/english/index.html)
were used. This would also allow a restart of the VM after each test, just in case we have
a memory issue.