jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Linda Morris" <Linda.Mor...@navigon.com>
Subject JMeter has a problem handling a large http response (xml)
Date Sat, 05 Feb 2005 15:26:48 GMT

Hi all,

I've found jmeter very helpful but I am having some problems.

The webserver that I'm testing returns a large XML stream in response to a HTTP request.
I'm having problems in using the response assertion.

My webserver is in a multi tier system.  Server A sends HTTP GET requests to Server B.  The
response is Text/XML. I don't need the xml to be parsed. The returned response is quite large,
as seen from the header response Content-Length: 55327857.

JMeter runs the script but no results or errors are returned to the UI. Looking at the JMeter
log, I see a java.nio.BufferOverflowException after starting the HTTPSampler as you can see
from the log extract below. The webserver shows no errors in the apache logs. So the apache
webserver process the requests as expected.

I tried running JMeter in non-gui mode, modified the heap and other memory settings, removed
all unnecessary listeners and assertions from my test scripts. Now it is just one http sampler,
an Aggregate Report and a Response Assertion with one thread running. Jmeter is running on
Windows XP Pro with 1GB of RAM, P4 3Ghz.

I have a Response Assertion that is to check response for a specified string (an http response
header).  I think this is where the problem lies.  If I only check for Response Message or
Response Code the assertion works, but I can't test HTTP response headers returned.  I can
only verify that Response Code 200 is true.

I assume in this case there is no point in trying to use the text response in the assertion.
But I would like to be to test for certain HTTP response headers that are returned, e.g. the
server returns headers e.g. Content-Type: text/xml; charset=iso-8859-1.  Is there a way to
have an assertion listener process only the http headers and ignore the xml stream or the
body of the http response?

Is java.nio.BufferOverflowException a problem that can be fixed or is it a limitation of Jmeter
or my configuration?

Thanks,

Linda