jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Keller <thomas.kel...@inatec.com>
Subject Re: JMeter and SSL = slow
Date Fri, 04 Feb 2005 13:46:48 GMT
Peter Lin schrieb:
> keep in mind that SSL is heavy weight. By heavy weight I mean this.
> 450mhz cpu - handles 5-8 concurrent SSL/HTTPS requests, but maxes out cpu
> 2.0ghz cpu - handles 20-25 concurrent SSL/HTTPS requests, but maxes out cpu

See my previous post... the problem disappeared by now. The long load
times happened with only one thread running on a 2.4GHz P4 while the
load on the server machine was not even noticable.

> in general, if you're testing SSL, make sure the sampler isn't set to
> download the images and other embedded resources.

Yep, I've disabled that anyways.

> I've done quite a
> bit of testing in the past on the performance difference between HTTPS
> vs HTTP. You're lucky if the req/sec only drops half. More often than
> not, depending on how many images you have, it may be 3-5x slower.
> most large E-commerce sites use hardware accelerators for this reason.
> IBM, Rainbow technologies and several other companies sell SSL enabled
> ethernet cards or network attached SSL. Most routers today offer SSL
> acceleration, so my advice is to not use software SSL. hope that helps

We've been discussed this issue lately, too, and I'm feeling not too
comfortable using mod_ssl and no hardware accelerated SSL, but as always
my bosses will not invest in such a thing unless they'll see the current
system go down under the heavy load.

Thanks for your response.

--
Best regards | Mit freundlichen Grüßen
	Thomas Keller.

inatec solutions GmbH, Public Key 0x94A5F429