jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Peter Lin <wool...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JMeter and SSL = slow
Date Fri, 04 Feb 2005 13:34:00 GMT
keep in mind that SSL is heavy weight. By heavy weight I mean this.

450mhz cpu - handles 5-8 concurrent SSL/HTTPS requests, but maxes out cpu
2.0ghz cpu - handles 20-25 concurrent SSL/HTTPS requests, but maxes out cpu

in general, if you're testing SSL, make sure the sampler isn't set to
download the images and other embedded resources. I've done quite a
bit of testing in the past on the performance difference between HTTPS
vs HTTP. You're lucky if the req/sec only drops half. More often than
not, depending on how many images you have, it may be 3-5x slower.

most large E-commerce sites use hardware accelerators for this reason.
IBM, Rainbow technologies and several other companies sell SSL enabled
ethernet cards or network attached SSL. Most routers today offer SSL
acceleration, so my advice is to not use software SSL. hope that helps

peter