jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Peter Lin <wool...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JMeter memory management
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 13:01:26 GMT
you're going to have to be more specific about this. In general, what
every memory the JVM allocates will still belong to the VM until
jmeter is restarted. That's normal JVM operation. In the typical case.

memory before test start - 40-45mb ( depends on system and physical ram)
after test - 90mb

Just because the JVM now hold 90mb, it doesn't mean jmeter is actually
leaking anything. I've profiled jmeter extensively during the
development of the distribution graph, tomcat monitor, webservice
sampler and jms sampler.  I can state with confidence the stock http
sampler, webservice sampler and standard listeners do not have a
memory leak.  I typically profile jmeter with optimizeIt and watch
both the heap activity and object count.

normally, most jmeter components implement the clear interface to make
sure objects are cleared, but it is ultimately up to the JVM to
garbage the object and free the heap space.  If you have a particular
test plan that can reproduce the leak, please make a bugzilla entry
and i will gladly look into it.

keep in mind that until you "clear" things, jmeter will continue to
hold on to the collected results. if you're using a custom plugin, it
should implement the clear interface and method. If you're using jms,
I am aware of memory leaks in orion jms client. I discovered a couple
of bugs in orion's jms client in the process of profiling the new jms
sampler in HEAD.

thanks for taking time to post the question, it would really help to
have more details or the exact test plan.

peter