jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Sonam Chauhan <sonam.chau...@ce.com.au>
Subject Excel tips and tricks
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 00:45:12 GMT
Hi - What Peter said below got me thinking... a few people here (including
me) use Excel to analyse JMeter logs. It would be good for us to share tips
and tricks, or even jointly develop macros, etc.

Here's what I do, please feel free to continue this thread...

1.	First, I have to get the data into Excel. I use Perl to parse the
XML logs and generate a delimited file Excel imports.

The heart of my Perl data-mangler is this regular expression:
/timeStamp="(\d+)".+?threadName="(.*?)".+?label="(.+?)"
time="(\d+?)".+?success="(.+?)"/;

Here are the comments for it:
# Grab the relevant details from the log entry.
# A normal log entry line logs one HTTP 'sampler' operation:
# 	<sampleResult timeStamp="..."
#		... threadName="..." label="..." time="..." />
# In case the opertion had HTTP redirects, the redirects show up as
# nested <sampleResult> elements,  but still on the same line:
# 	<sampleResult timeStamp= ... > <sampleResult timeStamp=.... >
#		... </sampleResult>
# We are only interested in the data in the first <sampleResult>
# element, so we use non-greedy pattern match operator ( '.*?'
# or '.+?') to ignore any latter <sampleResult> elements,

Here are the variables the regex generates:
my $timestamp = $1; # unix timestamp
my $threadname = $2; # thread label
my $label = $3; # operation label
my $time = $4; # operation time in milliseconds
my $success = $5; # boolean success indicator for this operation

2.	Once the data is in Excel, I convert the timestamp column from
Jmeter's Unix timestamp format (base year 1970) to the Excel format (base
year 1900) using this following formula:
=(x/1000+((365*70+17)*86400))/86400
This formula is applied to the entire timestamp column.
NOTE: a better formula mentioned something back on this list.

3.	I then sort rows are sorted by operation name (i.e. JMeter sampler
name)

4.	I can now generate suitable reports. For instance, I generate a
graph of page load times v/s time for different operations (e.g.: login, add
1 line to the order, etc). A different series for each operation type is
used.

Steps #3 and 4 are quite painstaking. It would be nice to have a macro to
automate those steps - however, it is beyond my Excel abilities at the
moment.

Sonam Chauhan
--
Electronic Commerce, Corporate Express Australia Ltd.