jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Response getting lost
Date Sat, 20 Nov 2004 14:31:49 GMT
IOn Sat, 20 Nov 2004 08:00:42 +0100, Anders Haal <anders.haal@ingby.com> wrote:
> Trying to use jmeter to do load simulation and response time measuring.
> The problem I have was discovered when I need  to pickup returned data
> from the server response and use it into the next request.  Being new to
> jmeter I did not understand the inbuilt recording mechanism in jmeter.
> Instead I used ethereal to record my session.
> The request in question is POST with Name Value pairs.
> So I created a Http Request sampler (also tried the Http Request
> HttpClient sampler) with my recorded request and then created a Post
> Processor regular expression extractor. The problem was I was not
> getting any hits on the regular expression that I expected from the
> recording done in ethereal. After testing the limits of my regular
> expression knowledge, I save I could get hits on other stuff changing
> the regular expression. To debug what was going on I added both
> "functional test mode" on the testplan and for each http request a "Save
> response to file" post processor and a "simple data writer" listener.
> What I discovered was that none of the stuff I was looking to match on
> was in the result. It looked that I was missing a lot of expected
> response. In the result from the "Save response file" listener I had
> strings like "invoked "break" outside of a loop" in the html files
> stored. Running my script and using ethereal recording I could see I got
> a "HTTP/1.1 302 Found" reply sending my POST requests instead of the
> expected. Maybe my HTTP knowledge is to limited but a 302, according to
> the spec talk about "The requested resource resides temporarily under a
> different URI" and I real do not know what I should do or what it would
> mean in this context.

302 is a redirect.

Browsers follow redirects automatically - not sure if any of them
allow this to be switched off.

However, unless you set the HTTP Sampler to *follow* redirects, JMeter
considers it has finished the sample as soon as it receives the
initial response, i.e. the redirect.

JMeter gives you the options:
* redirect automatically - i.e. the http connection does the redirect,
and JMeter never sees it.
* follow redirects - i.e. JMeter uses the information from the 302 to
load the new page. Both the pages willl appear as samples.
* or neither, of course.

This is described in the user manual, see:
http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#HTTP_Request