jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: need help with form authentication
Date Fri, 08 Oct 2004 21:30:59 GMT
On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 13:26:26 -0600, Steve Duran <steved@nmmcc.com> wrote:

>   Hello,
>
>   I am attempting to use JMeter to test a web application and have been
> unable to get past the login page, which uses form authentication.  My
> test plan and configuration are described below.  When I use a browser
> to access a protected page, the system will set a cookie named
> JSESSIONID and redirect me to the login page.  If I disable cookies in
> the browser, I get the same message from Tomcat that JMeter gets, so I
> think JMeter is not storing the cookie at all.

JMeter only processes cookies if you add a Cookie Manager to the plan,
but I think you have done that ...

>   I have tried this test using the non-gui version on a Linux box and
> the results were the same.  I tried not listing any cookies, making them
> secure and not secure, and that changed nothing.  I can access the
> application using both http, and https, so I don't think SSL is involved
> with this problem.
>
>   How can I get past the login page so I can proceed with the benchmark
> tests?
>
>   Thank you.
>
> Test Plan
>   Thread Group
>     Login Prompt (HTTP Request)
>       server name: foo.nmmcc.com
>       port number:
>       protocol:    http
>       path:        /theapp/news.jsp
>       method:      get
>       redirect automatically:          checked
>       follow redirects:                checked

Might be easier to see what is happening if you don't enable redirects.
You may then have to add an extra sampler or two to the plan, but at least
you then have control.

>       use keepalive:                   checked

Use Keepalive does not work very well with the default HTTP implementation
[this is not the fault of JMeter!]

>       retrieve all embedded resources: checked
>       use as monitor:                  checked

Don't check monitor

>     Login Form (HTTP Request)
>       server name: foo.nmmcc.com
>       port number:
>       protocol:    http
>       method:      post
>       path         /theapp/j_security_check
>       redirect automatically:          checked
>       follow redirects:                checked
>       use keepalive:                   checked
>       retrieve all embedded resources: checked
>       use as monitor:                  checked

See above

>       parameters:
>         j_username  value:          steved
>                     encode:         checked
>                     include equals: checked
>         j_password  value:          steved
>                     encode:         checked
>                     include equals: checked
>     Test Page (HTTP Request)
>       server name: foo.nmmcc.com
>       port number:
>       protocol:    http
>       method:      get
>       path         /theapp/my_struts_page.do
>       redirect automatically:          checked
>       follow redirects:                checked
>       use keepalive:                   checked
>       retrieve all embedded resources: checked
>       use as monitor:                  not checked
>       parameters:
>         summary     value:          test summary
>                     encode:         checked
>                     include equals: checked
>         subject     value:          test subject
>                     encode:         checked
>                     include equals: checked
>         descrip     value:          test descrip
>                     encode:         checked
>                     include equals: checked
>     HTTP Cookie Manager
>       clear cookies each iteration: not checked
>       cookies:
>         JSESSIONID  value:
>                     domain:     foo.site.com
>                     secure:     not checked
>                     expiration: 120000

I think this may be the problem - Cookie Manager automatically manages
cookies sent by the web server - you don't have to add them to the
test plan

Only additional cookies need to be added to the Cookie manager.

>     View Results in Table
>       filename:        C:\jmeter.txt
>       log errors only: checked

Might be better to log everything initially.

S.