jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using the Proxy Server to record test scripts
Date Thu, 16 Sep 2004 13:05:00 GMT
On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:36:16 +0200,
deepak.angeswar@daimlerchrysler.com
<deepak.angeswar@daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Jmeter and I cant understand how to use
>
> jmeter -H proxyHost -P proxyPort

See:
http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/get-started.html#proxy_server

> Does this mean that I will have to open Jmeter as
> jmeter -H localhost -P 8090

Probably not, see below.

> I am using a JBoss web app server and testing
> the Dukes's Bank example for J2EE. I am trying to
> use the HTTP proxy Server feature to measure each
> and every click in my browser.
>
> http://localhost:8080/bank/main is my default index
> page. In the HTTP proxy server port of Jmeter-should I enter
> 8080(it is the default) or 8090? I tried both and also

No - unless you are using a proxy to communicate with the JBoss app server.

> made changes in the IE proxy setting. There I have another doubt.
> Should I enter 'localhost' in the address tab of proxy setting in IE?

Yes, if you are running MSIE on the same host as JMeter.

> I also have a proxy server installed at my work place.
> I learnt from the previous mail that JMeter can bypass this???
> am i right?

Yes, see:
http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/get-started.html#proxy_server

> any help reg this will be great.

To use an *external proxy* server when running JMeter tests, see:
http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/get-started.html#proxy_server

This would normally be elsewhere than localhost.

To use the JMeter *inbuilt proxy* server, see:
http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/best-practices.html#proxy_server

These can be used together if required.

In your case, it sounds like you are running the JBoss webserver and
JMeter and MSIE all on the same host, and you are not using a proxy
server.

So just choose a different port for the JMeter proxy server, e.g. 9999

JBoss: access this on localhost:8080

JMeterProxy: set port to 9999

MSIE: set proxy to localhost:9999, and then connect to

http://localhost:8080/bank/main

The requests from MSIE will then go via the JMeter proxy which will
then record the requests.

Note that JMeter cannot currently record https (SSL).