jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Peter Lin <wool...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Client performance differences between Windows and Linux
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2004 14:06:53 GMT
I've used my Sun X1, RedHat and windows XP with JMeter + jdk1.4.2.

I see no performance difference worth noting. the only real reason to
use unix is to be able to ssh/telnet into a system easily and start
jmeter in non-gui mode for distributed testing.

the I/O performance between OS is not significant. if I/O is important
to you, I would recommend getting a gigabit ethernet, or put multiple
ethernet ports on the server and client systems.

In general, I/O is a significant bottleneck for stress/load testing.
To give you an example, my X1 and linux servers both have dual
ethernet ports.

If I use the same ethernet port for jdbc queries and stress testing
(i.e. http requests), the max through from JMeter's perspective is
basically 50% compared to running the jdbc queries through a second
ethernet port and switch. In practice, using multiple ethernet ports
and switches does provide significant increase in sustained
throughput. For burst traffic, there's not much difference.

I hope that helps.

peter