jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Remedy QA <remed...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: jmeter memory consumption
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2004 16:18:50 GMT
Hi Peter,

I have been using Segue Silk Performer in the past and was always able to get a load of 500
on a similar machine described below with good results.  I am actually trying to replace Silk
Performer with JMeter.

I am trying to see how much load one Jmeter client can handle.  I am planning to use several
clients as you suggested but there are only so many machines available.  My plan is to get
up to a 5000 virtual user load going.  If your approximation of 75 virtual users per machine
is used, that would yield about 67 client machines to generate such a load!

I suppose no one has used Jmeter to the extent that I am planning.

mabel

Peter Lin <woolfel@gmail.com> wrote:
to my knowledge, even if you use a commercial product like mercury.
You still can't simulate 250 threads from one system without it eating
a ton of memory. In fact, I believe mercury doesn't recommend you try
it, unless you're using a beefy dual or quad CPU server with 8Gb of
RAM, Gigabit ethernet and Gigabit router.

in fact, since mercury prefers to save the results to a database,
you'd have a hard time doing it from one system. Mercury happens to
have a good reputation and is considered a reliable testing tool.

I've been able to go up to 75 threads with JMeter with decent
performance. For more than 100 threads I always use multiple client
machines.

peter

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:29:06 -0400, Michael Stover wrote:

> So what's the problem, exactly?
>
> -Mike
>
> On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 20:21, Remedy QA wrote:
> > It seems Jmeter is a memory hogger. If given more memory, it will keep consuming.
I am using JMeter nightly build of June 12.

> > During my test run of approximately 50 minutes, with 250 virtual users on one GUI
Jmeter client, it managed to consume about 1 GB of real memory. As the test continued, the
memory just kept diminishing. The garbage collecting (minor collecting) happened about every
20 to 60 seconds. The CPU spikes happen when there are GCs.

> > I also ran the same test on a machine with only 1 GB of RAM. When the test was over,
real memory was at about 32mb.

> > I tried with non-GUI mode but several threads hung and never was able to finish.
> >
> > So it seems that if I use a machine with more memory and give it a bigger heap,
it just consumes as much as it can. I don't think 250 virtual users for the machine type I
use is too much load. There must be something I am missing. Any help appreciated.

> > I ran a test with the following configuration:
> >
> > Single JMeter Client on Windows 2000 Server, 2 GB RAM, single 2.8 Ghz Pentium 4
CPU. JDK 1.4.2_04

> > JMeter JVM settings:
> > set HEAP=-Xms1280m -Xmx1280m
> > set NEW=-XX:NewSize=512m -XX:MaxNewSize=512m
> > set DEBUG=-verbose:gc -XX:-PrintTenuringDistribution -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps
-XX:+PrintGCApplicationConcurrentTime -XX:+PrintGCApplicationStoppedTime