jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Remedy QA <remed...@yahoo.com>
Subject jmeter memory consumption
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2004 00:21:52 GMT
It seems Jmeter is a memory hogger. If given more memory, it will keep consuming.  I am using
JMeter nightly build of June 12.

During my test run of approximately 50 minutes, with 250 virtual users on one GUI Jmeter client,
it managed to consume about 1 GB of real memory.  As the test continued, the memory just kept
diminishing.  The garbage collecting (minor collecting) happened about every 20 to 60 seconds.
  The CPU spikes happen when there are GCs.

I also ran the same test on a machine with only 1 GB of RAM.  When the test was over, real
memory was at about 32mb.

I tried with non-GUI mode but several threads hung and never was able to finish.

So it seems that if I use a machine with more memory and give it a bigger heap, it just consumes
as much as it can.  I don't think 250 virtual users for the machine type I use is too much
load.  There must be something I am missing.  Any help appreciated.

I ran a test with the following configuration:

Single JMeter Client on Windows 2000 Server, 2 GB RAM, single 2.8 Ghz Pentium 4 CPU.  JDK
1.4.2_04

JMeter JVM settings:
set HEAP=-Xms1280m -Xmx1280m
set NEW=-XX:NewSize=512m -XX:MaxNewSize=512m
set DEBUG=-verbose:gc -XX:-PrintTenuringDistribution -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps
-XX:+PrintGCApplicationConcurrentTime -XX:+PrintGCApplicationStoppedTime

All other JVM settings are the defaults that came with jmeter.bat.

JMeter output set to CSV, jmeter and jorphan logging set to warning.

Jmeter script:

Test Plan
   ThreadGroup - 250 virtual users, ramping up every 5 seconds. Loop once.
      Aggregate Listener
      Simple Controller
          8 HTTP Requests in here
          3 Aggregate Listeners in here
      Runtime Controller - 45 minutes total for all users.
          33 HTTP Requests in here
          2 Aggregate Listeners in here
      Simple Controller
          2 HTTP Requests in here.