jmeter-user mailing list archives

From peter lin <jmw00l...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Assigning different IPs for different Virtual Users from the same Machine
Date Tue, 06 Apr 2004 13:57:35 GMT

unfortunately, the only reliable way to make it appear one JMeter is 10 different IP addresses
is to modify the TCP header.

Even if you change the HTTPHeader, if the webserver uses reverse lookup, it will figure out
it is the same machine. Your best option is to use 10 machines to hit the same server. Is
there a particular reason the single signon uses the IP address?  I ask because users behind
a NAT will appear to the be the same user, unless you use something more reliable to determine
it is an unique visitor. For example, some use MAC address.

That's probably not the answer you're looking for, but testing single sign-on application
can be tricky, since security is inherently an issue. For a single sign-on to be good, it
has to make it hard or impractical to spoof. Otherwise the single sign-on wouldn't be worth
anything.

peter lin

Eda Srinivasareddy <edasri@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi All

My web application reads the IP of the client machine from which a particular request came
to it using httpServletRequest.getRemoteAddr(). Lets think that there are 10 users accessing
this application from 10 different machines. Thereby the application reads 10 different IP
addresses corresponding to these 10 different users.

My actual problem is simulating these 10 users from the JMeter. When I am using 10 users from
the JMeter, all the 10 users are sending the same IP, there by only the last user is accessing
the application and the remaining are not accessing the application i.e. they are logged out
as the Single Sign On is enabled.

So is there any way I can assign 10 different IPs for 10 Users by changing some classes of
JMeter?

Please give me suggestions in achieving this functionality.

Thanks & Regards
Eda