jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Michal Kostrzewa <m.kostrz...@pentacomp.com.pl>
Subject Re: Assigning different IPs for different Virtual Users from the same Machine
Date Tue, 06 Apr 2004 16:11:10 GMT
> A good single sign-on application shouldn't use just the IP address, so even if you assign
multiple IP addresses to a NIC in linux/unix, it wouldn't help

My checkpoint fw relies on the source IP when doing loadbalancing. It
remembers client IP for a few minutes and redirects all the traffic from
this IP to the choosen server. Of course the more jmeter guns the
better, but sometimes the feature of assigning request's IP and ip
aliasing could be practical (to me at least :))))

best regards
Michal Kostrzewa

> Michal Kostrzewa <m.kostrzewa@pentacomp.com.pl> wrote:
> What about IP aliasing - you can define multiple IP's to one network
> interface. Then you could ask jMeter to send request from particular IP
> (without any modification of TCP header). With that, webservers could do
> a reverse lookup. But now there is no possibility in jMeter to choose
> the IP requests are sent from (AFAIK).
>
> Peter: sending from different IP's can be useful, when you're testing
> load balanced web serwers for example. Load balance algorithms can rely
> on source IP information.
>
> best regards,
> Michal Kostrzewa
>

> W licie z wto, 06-04-2004, godz. 15:57, peter lin pisze:
> > unfortunately, the only reliable way to make it appear one JMeter is 10 different
IP addresses is to modify the TCP header.

> > Even if you change the HTTPHeader, if the webserver uses reverse lookup, it will
figure out it is the same machine. Your best option is to use 10 machines to hit the same
server. Is there a particular reason the single signon uses the IP address? I ask because
users behind a NAT will appear to the be the same user, unless you use something more reliable
to determine it is an unique visitor. For example, some use MAC address.

> > That's probably not the answer you're looking for, but testing single sign-on application
can be tricky, since security is inherently an issue. For a single sign-on to be good, it
has to make it hard or impractical to spoof. Otherwise the single sign-on wouldn't be worth
anything.

> > peter lin
> >

> > Eda Srinivasareddy wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > My web application reads the IP of the client machine from which a particular request
came to it using httpServletRequest.getRemoteAddr(). Lets think that there are 10 users accessing
this application from 10 different machines. Thereby the application reads 10 different IP
addresses corresponding to these 10 different users.

> > My actual problem is simulating these 10 users from the JMeter. When I am using
10 users from the JMeter, all the 10 users are sending the same IP, there by only the last
user is accessing the application and the remaining are not accessing the application i.e.
they are logged out as the Single Sign On is enabled.