jmeter-user mailing list archives

From ChristopherPesarch...@westfieldgrp.com
Subject RE: String replacement
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:54:21 GMT

I was afraid I would have to do that.

I wrote that last email before I read this one.

Thanks,
Chris

                      mstover1@apache.o

                      rg                       To:       JMeter Users List <jmeter-user@jakarta.apache.org>

                                               cc:

                      10/13/2003 12:52         Subject:  RE: String replacement

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      "JMeter Users

                      List"

Yes, exactly.  I understood what you wanted.  But your example lends itself
to an obvious
solution:

"see ${__StringFromFile(names.txt)} run"

right?  But, if the "see" and 'run" part also vary, you might have to do
something like:

"${__StringFromFile(begin.txt)} ${__StringFromFile(names.txt)}
${__StringFromFile(end.txt)}"

Which, of course, is ugly, but there you go.  If you need something more
complex, then like I
said, JMeter probably can't do it.

-Mike

On 13 Oct 2003 at 12:36, ChristopherPesarchick@westfieldgrp.com wrote:

> I don't think I made myself clear.
>
> StringFromFile reads in a file.  Lets say that it says "See jane run.".
> Once I read that in, I want to change "jane" to some other word for each
> loop and thread.
>
> Very simplistic example, but that is the functionality I need.
> I hope that makes more sense.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
>

>                       mstover1@apache.o
>                       rg                       To:       JMeter Users
List <jmeter-
user@jakarta.apache.org>
>                                                cc:
>                       10/13/2003 12:24         Subject:  RE: String
replacement
>                       PM
>                       Please respond to
>                       "JMeter Users
>                       List"
>

> I get the impression what he'd like is for the value from StringFromFile
> be
> interpreted as a possible JMeter function, but that doesn't happen right
> now -
> the function returns it's string without looking at it.
>
> It seems a little odd that you'd need to have a list of values each with
> _different_ functions within them.  If the same function would serve,
then
> you
> could probably do something like:
>
> ${__specialFunction()}${__StringFromFile(partial_values.txt)}
>
> Where, instead of putting the special function in the data file, put it
in
> the
> JMeter component and just put the remaining static part of your value int
> the
> data file.
>
> If you really intend to use different functions for each value, then I
> don't see a
> way of doing that, right now.  I suppose JMeter could be modified to
always
> check functions' return values as possible functions themselves, but that
> would
> incur a potentially severe performance hit.  Right now all functions are
> "compiled" before the test starts, which helps performance greatly.
>
> -Mike
>
> On 13 Oct 2003 at 17:02, BAZLEY, Sebastian wrote:
>
> > Try the regex or javascript functions.
> >
> > Or perhaps you could edit the input file? - you can have multiple calls
> > SFF in the test plan, and each has its own reader, so if you want
several
> > pieces of information at once, you could instead read from several
> different
> > files.
> >
> > S.

Michael Stover