jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "BAZLEY, Sebastian" <Sebastian.BAZ...@london.sema.slb.com>
Subject RE: Using Response Assertion to evaluate HTML details
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2003 09:41:40 GMT
JMeter uses Jakarta ORO (http://jakarta.apache.org/oro/index.html) to
implement Perl5 patterns.

Since Perl includes multi-line patterns using the "m" and "s" modifiers:

<quote from Perlre document>

Treat string as multiple lines. That is, change ``^'' and ``$'' from
matching the start or end of the string to matching the start or end of any
line anywhere within the string.

Treat string as single line. That is, change ``.'' to match any character
whatsoever, even a newline, which normally it would not match.
</quote>

It looks as though "s" might be best in your case.

As a start, you could try matching sample 8 times using something like:
(sample.*){8}
This would eliminate fewer than 8 occurrences.

(sample.*){9} should catch ones with 9 or more.

So you could use two assertions; the first to match 8 samples, the second to
NOT match 9.

The tricky bit would be combining the two, as (sample.*){8}(?!.*sample)
would presumably be happy to match 9 occurrences by starting the match with
the second sample.

I'm afraid I'll have to leave solving that as an exercise for the reader, as
I don't know how myself.

I could not find anything on the ORO pages about exactly what REs it
supports, or if there are any exclusions.

Perl itself has pretty good documentation on regular expressions. If you
have a Perl installation, try perldoc perlre, perlrequick or perlretut.
There is online documentation on the Activestate web-site and elsewehere.

Hope this will help you get started. If you find a good solution, please
share it with us!

S.*n