jmeter-user mailing list archives

From mstov...@apache.org
Subject Re: high-load remote testing
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:21:03 GMT
The controlling machine is very much a bottleneck, and the remote
testing needs some attention before it will handle the kinds of loads
you want.

Until then, running the separate instances separately will give you
your best results.

-Mike

On 29 Oct 2003 at 15:54, Veronica Baiceanu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Our company will stress-test a commercial web application, and
we are targeting a rate of 1700 hits/second on the application
server. We are currently estimating whether we can use JMeter to
achieve our goal. So far, I have tried JMeter remote testing using 2
remote JMeter servers, and one controller. I haven't encountered
major problems with this setup. However, it would help me to know
if anybody successfully used JMeter for achieving a throughput
comparable to the one we have in mind.

> It would be particularly helpful to me to get some insights
regarding the following issues:

> - I read that the controller can become a bottleneck in remote
testing. Several suggestions were made to solve this problem. The
ultimate solution would be giving up remote testing altogether.
Instead, each test would be launched by hand from each machine,
the times should be coordinated, the results gathered in CSV files,
and then merged to get the overall results. I believe I might need at
least 5 JMeter servers to get my workload, possibly even 10. I
would rather use the remote setup. I wonder if anybody managed to
run JMeter in the remote setup, with so many machines, and with
my targeted workload.

> - It would be helpful if I could get any recommendations regarding
the hardware I should use for the testing, i.e. the minimum
indicated CPU speed and memory capacity for the machines. We
could get 5-10 decent machines that we could dedicate to testing. I
wonder if the JMeter resource consumption for large-scale tests
could become so critical, that JMeter simply cannot be used. I
would not expect the CPU consumption to be higher than for test
tools written in C, but the memory consumption should clearly be
higher. Any information about particular setups you used would be
greatly appreciated.

--
Michael Stover
mstover1@apache.org