jmeter-user mailing list archives

From peter lin <jmw00l...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: ZipException during batch invocation
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2003 01:21:39 GMT

I'm going to guess you're hitting tomcat or some other servlet container that support gzip
compression. If your goal is to measure the maximum number of live session for the servlet
container, you can simply send requests with no ramp up until it dies. by default, most servlet
containers will create a new session ID, unless it is explicitly passed back the session id.

If you're goal is crash the servlet container, simply hit it with 300-500 concurrent requests
from a couple of clients and it will crash or start to deny connections. Keep in mind how
you configure the servlet container, it will stop accepting new connections at some point,
but it won't necessarily crash.

causing the servlet container to throw "OutOfMemoryException" isn't a memory leak by the way.
You can easily get around that by setting the max heap. What ends up happening is the servlet
container will deny new connections until it has processed enough requests to clear it's queue's.

I hope that helps.  I posted a performance article on Tomcat's resource page if you're looking
for information about performance.

peter

Lee Peterson <Lee.Peterson@sas.com> wrote:
Hi all.

We want to exercise our servlet, deliberately trying to make any memory
leak cause an eventual crash.

I don't think a continuous JMeter execution will do what we need it to,
because we want to repeatly and continually spawn new sessions. That's
the scenario that will expose memory leaks. I believe a single JMeter
'run' starts a number of sessions only equivalent to the summation :

((all Thread Groups) x (# of threads in the group))

If that's so, it will only give us a finite number of sessions.
However, I think repeating a JMeter batch job *will* do the trick.

In trying to run JMeter in batch, I'm running into exception :

[ OTHER 'Loaded' stuff snipped ... ]

[Loaded java.util.zip.ZipException from C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.1\lib\rt.jar]
Exception in thread "main" java.util.zip.ZipException: The filename, directory name, or volume
label syntax is incorrect
[Loaded java.lang.StackTraceElement from C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.1\lib\rt.jar]
at java.util.zip.ZipFile.(ZipFile.java:112)
at java.util.jar.JarFile.(JarFile.java:117)
at java.util.jar.JarFile.(JarFile.java:55)
[Loaded java.util.HashMap$KeySet from C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.1\lib\rt.jar]
[Loaded java.util.HashMap$KeyIterator from C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.1\lib\rt.jar]

CLASSPATH problem ? I thought I had enough in there.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks.

Lee Peterson

SAS Institute, Inc.