jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Duncan Frostick" <dfrost...@bmjgroup.com>
Subject Re: Memory / CPU usage
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2003 09:06:46 GMT
That's Java for you. As great as the portability and libs are, it's such
a painfully slow lang for performance tasks. I have a Solaris server
with 2GB of RAM and it can't do 100 threads without giving me stupidly
high response times (of close to an hour...) on some requests.

Its a pity because JMeter is such a fantastically good tool when it
works, its just let down by performance issues. If you want to load test
at anything like a high load with JMeter you need several high powered
servers doing it in unision to spread the threads.

I was trying to use the GCJ compiler - which claims to compile java
bytecode to machine code - to increase performance but I couldn't get it
working, that could be a possible performance boost. My general rule of
thumb is that for anything above 75 users JMeter/Java is too resource
hungry to give accurate results on my hardware.

And now I'm trying high-loads, thats a problem. However, IBM have a
nifty if hard to configure tool called 'stress'. It's written in C so it
performs very well, just lacks a lot of JMeters great functionality. You
can find it online if you serach for IBM Web Performance Tools.

Perhaps a port of JMeter to C++ should be considered? I know this would
involve doing a lot of painfully boring networking and threading code
but the performance gain would be huge.

Cheers, Duncan