jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Jeremy Arnold <jerem...@bigfoot.com>
Subject Re: -Xincgc option
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2003 19:01:02 GMT
Hello,
    The "-X" options are non-standard, and vary between different JVMs.
-Xincgc works on Sun's JVMs...at least 1.3.x and 1.4.x.  But it may not
be an option on other JVMs.  For example, IBM's JVMs do not allow
-Xincgc.  So, the first question is: what JVM are you running?  ("java
-version" and/or "java -fullversion" may help you here)

    If you are running IBM's JVMs, try -Xgcpolicy:optavgpause, which is
similar to -Xincgc.  If you are using some other JVM, check the
documentation to see if some similar option exists.

can trust my results":  my answer is, it depends.  The results will
generally be more consistent and reliable if you are using one of these
options, as most JVMs will force all threads to wait when a garbage
collection cycle occurs.  But it depends on how long the GC cycles are.
Try running with  -verbose:gc to see if the cycles are taking a long
time.  If so, your results may be a bit inconsistent.  Of course, even
with incremental GC there will probably be some variation in the results
due to garbage collection.

Jeremy
http://xirr.com/~jeremy_a

Parekh, Hardik (IndSys, GE Interlogix) wrote:

>Hi ,
>
>I have one question. I'm downloading jmeter version 1.9.1 for performance testing. And
it has some batch file(jmeter.bat) in which java is run with -Xincgc option which is throwing
some error whenever I try to start jmeter from the command prompt. When I remove this  "-Xincgc"
, it runs fine.