jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Frank Rizzo <etchasketch992...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: ab vs jmeter
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:18:53 GMT
you should be able to run at least 20 threads on a pentium class machine. also, if you click
on the test plan node in the tree, make sure functional test mode is unchecked.

you may be unknowingly performing some computationally intensive calculations with the responses
if you have complex regular expressions or something.  remember that ab only checks the size
of the response to pass it and it is written in C.  But it is also a very simple tool that
cannot simulate users like jmeter can. When you run the test is your cpu maxed out? or does
jmeter appear to be io bound?

So the answer is that jmeter, under normal circumstances, should be able to perform better
than what you've reported.  But without more information, I cannot speculate why you are seeing
such poor performance.

Jean-Sebastien Morisset <jsmoriss@mvlan.net> wrote:
Hi,

I've been trying to get jmeter up and running, but I keep running into
some serious performance limits. If I run ab on my smallest machine, I
can easily run 1000 concurrent requests and get 580 requests/sec. When
using jmeter-server, I have problems going over 2-3 threads and my max
is 65 requests/second! Is this normal?

Thanks,
js.
--
Jean-Sebastien Morisset, Sr. UNIX Administrator
Personal Home Page