jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Duncan Frostick" <dfrost...@bmjgroup.com>
Subject Re: Slow response times - JMeter receives 302 rather than 200
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2003 10:19:08 GMT
Hi, thanks for give it a go. I've now got some good Ethereal dumps for anyone to look
at to try and identify the problem. They follow in a seperate mail after this one due
to the size restrictions.

Firstly to address your questions: I'm on a Win98 (/shudder) Java 1.3.1 based
workstation, not my choice of machine... it BSOD'd me while I was writing this mail
first time around! The server on the other hand is a new Solaris box with J2EE 1.3.1
running Apache2 with Tomcat and OpenSSL.

I've attached 3 dumps. One is from a navigation using Mozilla Firebird, the other 2 are

from an identical navigation using JMeter. One of the Jmeter ones is with Follow
Redirects enabled, the other without.

It's note-worthy that with following redirects enabled, JMeter reported times of over
1000 billion milliseconds, which is just gobbledegook as it still took 15 seconds to my

count.

If we look at the dumps there something very obvious thats wrong. When doing a GET on
the 'Plan Page' (/planrecord/servlets/PlanServlet), Mozilla Firebird and all other
broswers (and Raw communication over telnet) receives a '200 OK' response. JMeter on
the other hand, despite doing an identical navigation, gets a 302 redirect with the
location the same as the request (/planrecord/servlets/PlanServlet).

To see this, look at packets 71-72 on the FirebirdNav.dump, and then compare it to
29-30 and 30-31 in JMeter-NoFollowRedirects.dump and JMeter-WithFollowRedirects.dump
respectively.

Why does JMeter get a 302 when all other browsers get a 200 OK?

This is the heart of the problem because upon receiving the 302, with redirect
following enabled or not, JMeter just sits and waits for the Timeout to arrive (15
seconds as it says in the header) without GETting any more data. Why is this? Am I
missing a very obvious client/server setting that will stop JMeter from doing this?

Any help much appreciated guys,

Cheers,

Duncan Frostick