jmeter-user mailing list archives

From peter lin <jmw00l...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: monitoring with jmeter
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:53:43 GMT

I'm actually working on a jmeter monitor for Tomcat. So far I've been focusing on Tomcat,
since well I use Tomcat. Mike and I have been discussing this for a couple weeks now and I'm
also talking to remy about providing support in Tomcat to facilitate this.

my plans so far is this.

1. update the new TC5 status servlet to output XML
2. submit the patch once remy likes it. since I need his help to convince the other committers
to Ok the patch
3. write a JMeter monitor that is configurable

The type of monitor I had in mind is more general. What I want to do is be able to build tomcat
+ webapps nightly and deploy it. Then an Ant process would kick off to load and regression
test the changes. The monitor would ping the server on a set interval to see how it performs.
The information provided by the status servlet in TC5 include threads, vm and so on.  The
design I had in mind was to have a generic parser interface, which the monitor uses. that
way it maintains the same level of flexibility and extensibility as other Jmeter components.
 The regression/stress test plan would have one monitor that records the results. Time permitting
after all that is done, I want to write a GUI that allows me to view the performance of the
server for the duration of the test.

Does that sound similar to what you were thinking of?

peter

erik.itter@bbraun.com wrote:
Hi,

I thought about monitoring our web farm using JMeter. I would write a
console to view all unsucessfull polls on one spot and extend the
listeners. Of course that console would need to do alerting as well but
thats somewhat out of scope... (and quite easy using java)

Has anyone done such a thing so far?
Is the whole idea nonsense?
Is JMeter stable enough to run infinite?
Does JMeter work in an environment where I need to test about 1000 targets
each minute?

any comments welcome