jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "BAZLEY, Sebastian" <Sebastian.BAZ...@london.sema.slb.com>
Subject RE: [Fwd: Re: [OT] Bandwidth Throttling]
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:43:07 GMT
One way to do this to actually use a slower link - maybe you can run the
test over a modem connection?
But that starts to get a bit messy if you are simulating lots of users ...!

It might be possible to hook into the sampler output and input code, and
insert appropriate delays.

I did this a year or so ago using Perl and webchat (LWP) by overriding the
I/O routines:
Determine the message size, work out how long it should take, and sleep for
the appropriate length of time.
Not quite the same as a slower link, but the effect on a webserver
connection should be reasonably similar.

And could be made more sophisticated by sending characters individually.
[May not be able to do input this way.]

I don't know how easy that would be with Java.

S.

-----Original Message-----
From: Lawrence, Steve [mailto:steve_lawrence@merck.com]
Sent: 25 June 2003 16:20
To: 'JMeter Users List'
Subject: RE: [Fwd: Re: [OT] Bandwidth Throttling]

I was surprised at the working'ness of the url myself - I had tried to
download it a while back and failed miserably. Thanks Dasari :)

I'm going to risk the ire of the list by saying that : I believe LoadRunner
has the ability to do what you're looking for. I don't use it myself (and
never have) but I get plenty of tests pass me by that say '56k user' or
'28.8k user' and so on, which I understand is an ability in the LoadRunner
Generator to restrict the throughput or something of a test..

LoadRunner is (massively) commercial and is made by Mercury Interactive.

Steve.