jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Sherwood, Steve" <steve.sherw...@liberate.com>
Subject RE: Running multiple GUI sessions
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2003 16:14:43 GMT
Mike,

Could you elaborate on the "funny stuff" that can happen when running
without the GUI?

I'm using a remote Solaris server (6 CPU) for running tests and my PC
running the GUI.  Since my PC is pegged at 100% CPU usage while the test is
running I was planning on running the test without the GUI on the Solaris
box.

Thanks,
Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Stover [mailto:mstover1@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 10:04 AM
To: JMeter Users List
Subject: RE: Running multiple GUI sessions

> I have 3 different tests to run, each against different servers.  I have 3
> remote engines available to me, as well as my desktop machine which I'm
> using as the controller for the remote machines.

You can do this type of thing 2 different ways.  One is to create multiple
threadgroups in a
single test plan.  Each threadgroup can run completely separate scripts.
However, you can
only either run the test or not - so each remote machine would be running
all of your
threadgroups in parallel.

the other option is to run JMeter's GUI multiple times and have each one
control a different
remote machine.

If possible, option 1 is better - it's less resource intensive.  there's
also no real advantage to
having each remote machine doing something different.  Even if all three are
running the
same threadgroups, you can still balance the number of total users doing
each activity as you
like.

> Not knowing how the engine -> controller communication works, I was unsure
> whether or not I could start up multiple GUI sessions simultaneously and
> have them each talk to remote engines running different tests, without
> stomping all over each other.  Further, I didn't know if the (potentially)
> heavy load on my controller machine would then affect the remote machine's
> performance w/r/t data gathering and reporting.  I would hope that the
> generating of the sample result data is as independent of the persisting
of
> it as possible, but I don't know the limits of what's possible.

Running without the gui is generally a performance gain.  But, funny stuff
can happen, and
the latest CVS code actually fixes some of that funny stuff (it depends on
how many
processors the remote machines have).

> Finally, when using remote engines, is there any performance difference
> running the controller in gui-mode versus from the command line?

see above.

> I could quantify all of this myself, and will if I can't get a definitive
> answer, but my tests are a little on the long side and my time on the
> machines is somewhat limited, so I'd rather spend my time testing the app,
> not the tool.
>
> Thanks for the help!!
>
> --
> Regards,