jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Mike Stover" <mstov...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Running multiple GUI sessions
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2003 15:04:25 GMT

> I have 3 different tests to run, each against different servers.  I have 3
> remote engines available to me, as well as my desktop machine which I'm
> using as the controller for the remote machines.

You can do this type of thing 2 different ways.  One is to create multiple threadgroups in
single test plan.  Each threadgroup can run completely separate scripts.  However, you can

only either run the test or not - so each remote machine would be running all of your
threadgroups in parallel.

the other option is to run JMeter's GUI multiple times and have each one control a different

remote machine.

If possible, option 1 is better - it's less resource intensive.  there's also no real advantage
having each remote machine doing something different.  Even if all three are running the
same threadgroups, you can still balance the number of total users doing each activity as
you
like.

> Not knowing how the engine -> controller communication works, I was unsure
> whether or not I could start up multiple GUI sessions simultaneously and
> have them each talk to remote engines running different tests, without
> stomping all over each other.  Further, I didn't know if the (potentially)
> heavy load on my controller machine would then affect the remote machine's
> performance w/r/t data gathering and reporting.  I would hope that the
> generating of the sample result data is as independent of the persisting of
> it as possible, but I don't know the limits of what's possible.

Running without the gui is generally a performance gain.  But, funny stuff can happen, and

the latest CVS code actually fixes some of that funny stuff (it depends on how many
processors the remote machines have).

> Finally, when using remote engines, is there any performance difference
> running the controller in gui-mode versus from the command line?

see above.

> I could quantify all of this myself, and will if I can't get a definitive
> answer, but my tests are a little on the long side and my time on the
> machines is somewhat limited, so I'd rather spend my time testing the app,
> not the tool.
>
> Thanks for the help!!
>
> --
> Regards,