jmeter-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Mike Stover" <>
Subject Re: Remote Testing & memory issues.
Date Tue, 21 Jan 2003 20:44:30 GMT
Is it possible it's running out of stack memory, as opposed to heap?  I've had that problem

before when I was parsing response HTML for certain things, there's a lot of recursive calls
the parsing of HTML sometimes, and for one particular test, I was running out of stack 
memory.  The 4 processor machine may have been able to fill up the stack faster than the 
other machines...  

The stack is normally 1MB, I think.  You can increase it similarly to the way you increased
heap size to 512 (read the java documentation - I haven't got it memorized).


On 21 Jan 2003 at 15:35, Lawrence, Steve wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm seeing some very strange behaviour when running Jmeter in 'distributed
> mode'.
> I've successfully gotten my client / server set up, running on Windows 2k.
> (Still can't get it working under Linux, but that's another story).
> I've recorded a very small script which hits a couple of urls on my
> webserver. The entire script comes in at 39k.
> I have my Master machine, a local slave machine, a distant slave machine,
> and a webserver which is on my local subnet.
> Master Machine - NT4, 256Mb Memory.
> Local slave - NT4, 256Mb Memory
> Distant slave - 4 processor NT2k, 2 gig memory. (I'll call him Waldo)
> Webserver - Linux, 4 gig..
> I've set up my test for 50 threads, 10 loops, 1 second ramp.
> I can run it locally on the Master machine fine. 
> I can remote start it on my local slave (256Mb machine). It maxes the
> processor and ends up using between 50 and 80 meg of memory for the app - It
> finished the script fine.
> If I remote run it on Waldo it gets about halfway through the threads (it's
> done about 500 counts) and then hangs. It first stops reporting back to my
> master machine, and eventually it gives me java.lang.out of memory error on
> the console. It's used about 80 meg of memory at this point.
> If I load up the gui, and run the script locally on Waldo it runs fine. Its
> memory usage runs between 89 meg and 50 meg, often with large drops followed
> by smaller incrementals up.
> I've tried setting the switch -Xmx512m in the jmeter.bat file, but that
> seems to make no difference. 
> Can anyone clue me in to why this doesn't work remotely? This certainly
> isn't a lack of memory issue. :(
> Thanks in advance, and thanks in retrospect to Scott Eade for posting his
> ENV scripts for Windoze.
> Steve.
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Notice: This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains information of Merck
& Co., Inc. (Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA) that may be confidential, proprietary
copyrighted and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual
or entity named on this 
message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please
immediately return this by e-mail and then delete it.
> ==============================================================================
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
> For additional commands, e-mail: <>

Michael Stover
Yahoo IM: mstover_ya
ICQ: 152975688
AIM: mstover777

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message