jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Mike Stover" <mstov...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Deprecation of HTML Parameter Mask and HTTP User Parameter Modifier
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2002 06:04:57 GMT
On 13 Dec 2002 at 16:35, Scott Eade wrote:

> HTML Parameter Mask actually indicates that the Counter config element be
> used as its replacement - I can see how this is a better (i.e. more
> flexible) solution than HTML Parameter Mask (it is a shame that the only
> code I have contributed to JMeter is part of HTML Parameter Mask ;-( ).

Not a shame.  That was a while ago, and it is the nature of good software that it evolves.
 If
things work out, a day will come when my last bit of code is replaced.

> I think my comments concerning HTTP User Parameter Modifier are still
> relevant however - for a moderate number of users I think the xml file would
> be easier to set up than the User Parameters config element.

Could be.  For large numbers of users, a file is easier to deal with.  However - you could

directly modify the *.jmx that stores the info as XML.  Thus, if you had a script generating
the
data, it could generate it in the appropriate format and insert it in.  Strikes me as no more

difficult than user.xml is.  Also, HTTP User Parameter Modifier is limited to HTTP Requests,

and only the arguments at that.  Whereas the User Parameters config element creates user-
defined values that can be used almost anywhere.

-Mike

> For my purpose the Counter config element should do the trick.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Scott
> --
> Scott Eade
> Backstage Technologies Pty. Ltd.
> http://www.backstagetech.com.au
> .Mac Chat/AIM: seade@mac.com
>
> > From: Scott Eade <seade@backstagetech.com.au>
> > Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 16:09:55 +1100
> > To: JMeter Users List <jmeter-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> > Subject: Deprecation of HTML Parameter Mask and  HTTP User Parameter Modifier
> >
> > In the JMeter documentation the HTML Parameter Mask and  HTTP User Parameter
> > Modifier modifiers are marked as deprecated with a recommendation that the
> > User Parameters config element be used in their place.
> >
> > Surely HTTP User Parameter Modifier is going to be much more convenient when
> > all but a few users are involved.
> >
> > Surely HTML Parameter Mask is going to be way more convenient when large
> > numbers of users are involved.
> >
> > In my case I want to have 1000 users.  With the current deprecations it
> > would seem that the recommendation is that I sit here entering bunches of
> > values into a User Parameters config element.  This is crazy when I can
> > achieve the desired using just two HTML Parameter Mask modifiers (one for
> > the userid and another for the password).
> >
> > I would suggest that all three mechanisms have their place thus:
> >
> > 1. User Parameters config element: Useful when there are a small number of
> > users with potentially many parameters
> > 2. HTML User Parameter Modifier modifier: Useful when there are a moderate
> > number of users with potentially many parameters
> > 3. HTML Parameter Mask modifier: Useful when there are large numbers of
> > users and the parameter values are able to be generated using the available
> > structure
> >
> > Please consider revoking the deprecations on the HTML Parameter Mask and
> > HTTP User Parameter Modifier modifiers.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Scott
> > --