jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Mike Stover" <mstov...@apache.org>
Subject RE: help
Date Tue, 10 Sep 2002 13:25:38 GMT

> OK, my habit in organising test trees is to have the HTML Link Parser precede the HTTP
request that USES the results of its parsing. So I would suggest:

>  - Sample Test Plan
>    - Thread Group
>      - HTTP Request -> jsp/login.jsp
> A    - HTTP Request -> jsp/pageView.jsp?workItemId=2334&workFlowId=14
> B    - HTML Link Parser
> C    - HTTP Request -> jsp/nextPage.jsp?workItemId=.*&workFlowId=.*
> D    - HTML Link Parser
> E    - HTTP Request -> jsp/thirdPage.jsp?workItemId=.*&workFlowId=.*
> F    - HTML Link Parser
> G    - HTTP Request -> jsp/fourthPage.jsp?workItemId=.*&workFlowId=.*
> H    - HTML Link Parser
> I    - HTTP Request -> jsp/fifthPage.jsp?entityItemId=<Value of workItemId>&workFlowId=.*
>
> The HTML Link Parsers are preceding siblings of the HTTP Requests in this setup, rather
than immediate children.

> [[ Anyone more in the know, please comment on whether this makes a difference. I expected
that it would, given the JMeter manual examples are structured more like this than Rohit's
original. I cannot be more definite as I have read little of the JMeter source and don't know
its structure and
strategies for compiling and executing test plans. ]]

Better to attach the Link Parser as children to the HTTP Requests that need it.  If a test
plan
were made as above, then every Request would be passed through each of those Link
Parsers for potential modification, which would be a performance drain.  The Link Parsers

should not be thought of as "going in order" like Sampler go in order from top to bottom.
 In
fact, Samplers are the only elements that have an order.  All other elements are hierarchical

only.  A more compact way to do this would be:

  - Sample Test Plan
    - Thread Group
      - HTTP Request -> jsp/login.jsp
 A    - HTTP Request -> jsp/pageView.jsp?workItemId=2334&workFlowId=14
 B    - Simple Controller
 C        - HTML Link Parser
 D        - HTTP Request -> jsp/nextPage.jsp?workItemId=.*&workFlowId=.*
 E        - HTTP Request -> jsp/thirdPage.jsp?workItemId=.*&workFlowId=.*
 F        - HTTP Request -> jsp/fourthPage.jsp?workItemId=.*&workFlowId=.*
 G         - HTTP Request -> jsp/fifthPage.jsp?entityItemId=<Value of
workItemId>&workFlowId=.*

In this plan, the HTML Link Parser will be applied to each of the HTTP Requests that also
live
under the Simple Controller.  This is how JMeter works in general - Timers, Listeners, Config

Elements, Modifiers, etc.

--
Michael Stover
mstover1@apache.org