jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>
Subject Re: How many threads from a single machine?
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2002 02:48:27 GMT
Thanks for all the replies - very helpful.

Here is a little more information about what I am proposing to do.

I need to test a site with something like 7,500 sessions being initiated per
hour.  The sessions are going to be relatively long, say 15 minutes for
5,000 and over an hour for the remaining 2,500.  The shorter sessions will
have a 45 second pause between each page request and the longer running
sessions a combination of 30 second and 5 minute pauses.

As suggested by Michael and Olav I will keep an eye on the CPU usage of the
machines running the test sessions to ensure I am not getting any adverse
effects relating to the overloading of these machines.  At least a second
machine running a smaller number of threads to monitor the relative response
time is a good idea, thanks Michael.

We have decided to ignore network effects for our current testing by using
machines connected to the same switch as the web server.

>From the various comments received I am thinking that multiple client
machines are going to be necessary.  The Remote Testing documentation
appears to suggest that the jmeter testing engine would be running on the
application server (I assume in my case this would be the web server), but
wouldn't this be using resources that should be kept available for the
application?  I assume remote testing can also support multiple testing
engines that execute their scripts against a common application server - is
this correct?  How would I go about combining the results from the testing
executed on multiple clients - would it be a simple matter of merging the
results files?  Has anyone tried this?

Thanks again,

Scott