jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Joseph Barefoot" <jose...@hereuare.com>
Subject RE: HTTP Parameter Mask
Date Thu, 11 Jul 2002 21:55:13 GMT
> Joe - thanks for the code.  As you may have seen I went the way of HTML
> Parameter Mask.  Mike has committed my patches to support suffix
> values and
> the functionality is included in 1.7.2.  This means that there is now
> built-in jmeter functionality to produce these types of user_id
> and password
> values.

Sweet, that would have saved me some work a few months ago!

> I still need to generate the SQL to create all of the necessary
> users in my
> application.  This prompted me to look at the code you provided.
> There was
> nothing wrong with your code, but I was thinking the same thing could be
> achieved reasonably easily with XSL.  The result is included in
> the attached
> files - just change the values in user-structure.xml, then have your
> favourite xslt processor (tested with msxml3, but should work fine with
> xalan) transform this using users.xsl.

Yes, if you are only generating parameters named user_id and password.  If
you want to change these or add more parametes, you wouldn't be able to do
it with this XSL stylesheet without changing both it and the
user-structure.xml template file.

I had considered XSL here as well, but I created the generator because I
needed to add any number of parameters to different templates without having
to change anything else, and not being an XSL expert:  A) I'm not sure if
you can do that or not with a single stylesheet and  B) even if you can, it
would have taken me a lot longer to figure it out than the simple
replacement strategy the generator uses. :)

b.t.w., I needed to add lots of different parameters because I was testing
user registration (and using JMeter as a means of automating the
registration of hundreds of test users), amongst other things, and I wanted
to have different values for all the contact info., billing info., etc.
Using our pre-existing registration process over HTTP w/ JMeter this way to
load users proved faster than producing the SQL that would have been
necessary to accomplish the same thing, in this particular case.

I like the usage of XSL though, I've been trying to come up with ways to put
it to good use for data reporting mechanisms....thanks for sharing.

peace,
Joe