jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Mike Stover" <mstov...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How many threads from a single machine?
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2002 12:58:25 GMT
To answer your questions:

1. No, you should never run JMeter on the same machine as the server you are testing.
When I say JMeter server, I mean an instance of JMeter running in "server mode".  In
version 1.7.1, JMeter is run in server mode with "jmeter -s".  In 1.7, you use the jmeter-server

script file.

2.  You can run JMeter servers on as many machines as you have/like.  One machine,
running in normal GUI mode can control all of them.

3. You don't need to do any special to combine the results files.  Any listeners in your tests

will receive the results from all the remote JMeter servers you run.

-Mike

On 10 Jul 2002 at 22:54, Scott Eade wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> > From: "Mike Stover" <mstover1@apache.org>
> >
> > This sounds like more than one machine can handle, regardless.  Have you
> > thought about using JMeter's distributed capabilities?  It allows you to run a
> > JMeter GUI on one machine that can control multiple JMeter servers running on
> > other machines.
>
> Yes, I believe I will need to do this.  I'm thinking of obtaining a new 2GHz
> P4 machine as the main testing machine and then seeing what resources I can
> pilfer of other machines that happen to be available at the time.
>
> Could you possibly provide some feedback on the questions included I the
> paragraph below?  Most importantly I need to know if the results files will
> all come back to the controlling machine.
>
> >> From the various comments received I am thinking that multiple client
> >> machines are going to be necessary.  The Remote Testing documentation
> >> appears to suggest that the jmeter testing engine would be running on the
> >> application server (I assume in my case this would be the web server), but
> >> wouldn't this be using resources that should be kept available for the
> >> application?  I assume remote testing can also support multiple testing
> >> engines that execute their scripts against a common application server - is
> >> this correct?  How would I go about combining the results from the testing
> >> executed on multiple clients - would it be a simple matter of merging the
> >> results files?  Has anyone tried this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott
> --