jmeter-user mailing list archives

From yogesh.di...@pfpc.com
Subject Re: JMeter and OpenSTA
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2002 20:01:21 GMT

Hi  Mike,
The feedback is really helping me a lot. Thanks for the same.
I'll put these queries in more elaborate manner -
   Using JMeter can a test be conducted for different bandwidths, For Eg. -
   Can JMeter helps simulating the same test for 56KBPS dial up modem and a
   T1 connection?
   Controller / Injector  - Can we install JMeter on one box and control
   JMeter VUSers which are running on 3-4 different machines? Both these
   features can be found in commercial tools like WebLoad / LoadRunner.
   Which all Databases it supports, while carrying JDBC testing .
   The nightly builds you mentioned, do they support testing individual
   Java classes / Java Beans / EJBs etc. ?

Regards,
Yogesh.

                    "Mike Stover"

                    <mstover1@apa        To:     "JMeter Users List" <jmeter-user@jakarta.apache.org>

                    che.org>             cc:

                                         Subject:     Re: JMeter and OpenSTA

                    06/11/2002

                    09:52 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    "JMeter Users

                    List"

Some answers:
JMeter can simulate as many users as your machine can handle.  For each
user, a separate
thread is generated.  For a standard machine 100 threads seems to be a
rule-of-thumb max.
JMeter can also run in distributed mode, which allows you to control
multiple JMeter's from a
single machine.

JMeter is written in Java, and works on Windows and Linux/Solaris.  I don't
know if anyone
runs it on Mac.

It can currently test HTTP, FTP, and JDBC, though HTTP is by far the most
mature part of
JMeter.  In the nightly builds, there has been added the ability to test
arbitrary Java objects,
with some minor programming on your part.

No scripting languages.  Test scripts are defined in JMeter's own format.

I don't know what Bandwidth simulation support means?

JMeter can handle several kinds of dynamic data, allowing it to react to
information returned
from a web server.  It can also record your actions in a typical web
browser to make test
script generation easier.

I don't know what Controller/Injector features means?

Hope this helps,

-Mike

On 11 Jun 2002 at 15:33, yogesh.dixit@pfpc.com wrote:

> Hi Martin,
> Thanks for the information. As I've just started evaluating those tools I
> don't have any details to contribute at of now. But eventually I'd share
> the experiences with you. As you've mentioned about the features /
> limitations of OpenSTA, do you have anything on similar lines for JMeter.
> I'm looking for following details  about JMeter:
>    Number of VUsers supported by JMeter
>    Technologies supported - OS / Platforms / Databases / Web /
Application
>    servers / Browsers / Protocols /
>    Scripting Languages Used / Supported.
>    JMeter FAQ - I was not able to place this on the JMeter /
Jakarta-Apache
>    website.
>    Bandwidth simulation support
>    Integration with other tools
>    Static / Dynamic Parameterization
>    Controller / Injector feature
>
> This information would be very helpful for me.
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Yogesh Dixit.
>

>                     Martin Ramshaw

>                     <mramshaw@alumni.con        To:
jmeter-user@jakarta.apache.org
>                     cordia.ca>                  cc:

>                                                 Subject:     Re: JMeter
and OpenSTA
>                     06/11/2002 03:12 PM

>                     Please respond to

>                     "JMeter Users List"

> >I'm in the process of evaluating JMeter and OpenSTA. I need to select
> >one tool amongst them. Has anyone compared these two tools, or knows
> >of any document describing the comparison amongst these two.
>
> I'm currently updating some of JMeter's docs (including the 'My Boss
wants
> me to ...' part, which I wrote) and would be glad to include any
> conclusions
> you may come to. The 'My Boss wants me to ...' part also includes some
> discussion about alternatives to JMeter, but it is only available with
the
> current CVS source-code checkout. One part I am adding to this document
> is some comments about 'HttpUnit', which is another product that is worth
> a look.
>
> After a five-second web search, OpenSTA is based on Corba and offers
> HTTP profiling only (a database profiler is also available, but not free.
> It
> is limited to Oracle, SyBase, and Microsoft databases).
>
>            Regards
>

> --
> For additional commands, e-mail: <
> mailto:jmeter-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>