jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Mike Stover" <mstov...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JMeter and OpenSTA
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2002 21:03:30 GMT
On 12 Jun 2002 at 16:01, yogesh.dixit@pfpc.com wrote:

> Hi  Mike,
> The feedback is really helping me a lot. Thanks for the same.
> I'll put these queries in more elaborate manner -
>    Using JMeter can a test be conducted for different bandwidths, For Eg. -
>    Can JMeter helps simulating the same test for 56KBPS dial up modem and a
>    T1 connection?

JMeter does not control it's bandwidth, so you would not be able to simulate such things
except via your hardware and network configuration.

>    Controller / Injector  - Can we install JMeter on one box and control
>    JMeter VUSers which are running on 3-4 different machines? Both these
>    features can be found in commercial tools like WebLoad / LoadRunner.

Yes, JMeter runs distributed, and you can control multiple remote JMeter servers from a
single gui.

>    Which all Databases it supports, while carrying JDBC testing .

I'm not sure which databases are not supported, actually.  You provide the JDBC driver,
JMeter uses it.  However, the JDBC testing is limited since no one really uses it seriously.

Only simple SQL statements can be tested - no transactions, for instance.

>    The nightly builds you mentioned, do they support testing individual
>    Java classes / Java Beans / EJBs etc. ?

There is support for testing individual Java classes.  You have to provide the "last mile",
so to
speak - an interface is provided for you to extend, and JMeter will harness it.  This part
is
brand  new, so it should probably be considered as alpha software.

-Mike

> [...]

> with some minor programming on your part.
>
> No scripting languages.  Test scripts are defined in JMeter's own format.
>
> I don't know what Bandwidth simulation support means?
>
> JMeter can handle several kinds of dynamic data, allowing it to react to
> information returned
> from a web server.  It can also record your actions in a typical web
> browser to make test
> script generation easier.
>
> I don't know what Controller/Injector features means?
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> -Mike
>
> On 11 Jun 2002 at 15:33, yogesh.dixit@pfpc.com wrote:
>

> > Hi Martin,
> > Thanks for the information. As I've just started evaluating those tools I
> > don't have any details to contribute at of now. But eventually I'd share
> > the experiences with you. As you've mentioned about the features /
> > limitations of OpenSTA, do you have anything on similar lines for JMeter.
> > I'm looking for following details  about JMeter:
> >    Number of VUsers supported by JMeter
> >    Technologies supported - OS / Platforms / Databases / Web /
> Application
> >    servers / Browsers / Protocols /
> >    Scripting Languages Used / Supported.
> >    JMeter FAQ - I was not able to place this on the JMeter /
> Jakarta-Apache
> >    website.
> >    Bandwidth simulation support
> >    Integration with other tools
> >    Static / Dynamic Parameterization
> >    Controller / Injector feature
> >
> > This information would be very helpful for me.
> >
> > Thanks and regards,
> > Yogesh Dixit.
> >

> >                     Martin Ramshaw
>
> >                     <mramshaw@alumni.con        To:
> jmeter-user@jakarta.apache.org
> >                     cordia.ca>                  cc:
>
> >                                                 Subject:     Re: JMeter
> and OpenSTA
> >                     06/11/2002 03:12 PM
>
> >                     Please respond to
>
> >                     "JMeter Users List"
>

> > >I'm in the process of evaluating JMeter and OpenSTA. I need to select
> > >one tool amongst them. Has anyone compared these two tools, or knows
> > >of any document describing the comparison amongst these two.
> >
> > I'm currently updating some of JMeter's docs (including the 'My Boss
> wants
> > me to ...' part, which I wrote) and would be glad to include any
> > conclusions
> > you may come to. The 'My Boss wants me to ...' part also includes some
> > discussion about alternatives to JMeter, but it is only available with
> the
> > current CVS source-code checkout. One part I am adding to this document
> > is some comments about 'HttpUnit', which is another product that is worth
> > a look.
> >
> > After a five-second web search, OpenSTA is based on Corba and offers
> > HTTP profiling only (a database profiler is also available, but not free.
> > It
> > is limited to Oracle, SyBase, and Microsoft databases).

Michael Stover
mstover1@apache.org
Yahoo IM: mstover_ya
ICQ: 152975688