jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Mike Stover" <mstov...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JMeter and OpenSTA
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2002 01:52:10 GMT
Some answers:
JMeter can simulate as many users as your machine can handle.  For each user, a separate
thread is generated.  For a standard machine 100 threads seems to be a rule-of-thumb max.

JMeter can also run in distributed mode, which allows you to control multiple JMeter's from
single machine.

JMeter is written in Java, and works on Windows and Linux/Solaris.  I don't know if anyone

runs it on Mac.

It can currently test HTTP, FTP, and JDBC, though HTTP is by far the most mature part of
JMeter.  In the nightly builds, there has been added the ability to test arbitrary Java objects,

with some minor programming on your part.

No scripting languages.  Test scripts are defined in JMeter's own format.

I don't know what Bandwidth simulation support means?

JMeter can handle several kinds of dynamic data, allowing it to react to information returned

from a web server.  It can also record your actions in a typical web browser to make test

script generation easier.

I don't know what Controller/Injector features means?

Hope this helps,

-Mike

On 11 Jun 2002 at 15:33, yogesh.dixit@pfpc.com wrote:

> Hi Martin,
> Thanks for the information. As I've just started evaluating those tools I
> don't have any details to contribute at of now. But eventually I'd share
> the experiences with you. As you've mentioned about the features /
> limitations of OpenSTA, do you have anything on similar lines for JMeter.
> I'm looking for following details  about JMeter:
>    Number of VUsers supported by JMeter
>    Technologies supported - OS / Platforms / Databases / Web / Application
>    servers / Browsers / Protocols /
>    Scripting Languages Used / Supported.
>    JMeter FAQ - I was not able to place this on the JMeter / Jakarta-Apache
>    website.
>    Bandwidth simulation support
>    Integration with other tools
>    Static / Dynamic Parameterization
>    Controller / Injector feature
>
> This information would be very helpful for me.
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Yogesh Dixit.
>

>                     Martin Ramshaw

>                     <mramshaw@alumni.con        To:     jmeter-user@jakarta.apache.org

>                     cordia.ca>                  cc:

>                                                 Subject:     Re: JMeter and OpenSTA

>                     06/11/2002 03:12 PM

>                     Please respond to

>                     "JMeter Users List"

> >I'm in the process of evaluating JMeter and OpenSTA. I need to select
> >one tool amongst them. Has anyone compared these two tools, or knows
> >of any document describing the comparison amongst these two.
>
> I'm currently updating some of JMeter's docs (including the 'My Boss wants
> me to ...' part, which I wrote) and would be glad to include any
> conclusions
> you may come to. The 'My Boss wants me to ...' part also includes some
> discussion about alternatives to JMeter, but it is only available with the
> current CVS source-code checkout. One part I am adding to this document
> is some comments about 'HttpUnit', which is another product that is worth
> a look.
>
> After a five-second web search, OpenSTA is based on Corba and offers
> HTTP profiling only (a database profiler is also available, but not free.
> It
> is limited to Oracle, SyBase, and Microsoft databases).
>
>            Regards
>

> --
> For additional commands, e-mail: <
> mailto:jmeter-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>