jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>
Subject Using JMeter for Archiving a Website?
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2001 17:52:43 GMT
I am trying to archive the contents of an extranet website which is mostly
dynamic content. I'd like to record what it's contents every day, and store
them in a format where you can open up the website and browse it as it
existed on any given day.

I posted a message on Usenet and one respondent suggested I look at JMeter
for a solution. I was wondering whether anyone on this list had set up
JMeter to do something similar, or had other suggestions as to how I could
accomplish my task, involving JMeter or not. I'm willing to code some Java
if that would help.

Some of the features I require for this website snapshot program:

1. Parse the HTML and extract further URLs to follow, just like any spider
does.

2. Provide support for URL Encoding of a Session ID

3. Parse forms to recognize Submit URLs and the field data that must be
returned in a POST, including hidden fields.

4. Allow setting a configuration file to provide the data that should be
returned for a particular field in a form (for example, setting what should
be returned in "username" and "password" fields).

5. Support regular expressions so that you can make sure the session is
going the way it should. For example, if you get "Login Failed" in the
returned HTML you should be able to recognize that as an error condition.

6. Replace any absolute URLs with relative ones, so that if you open the
archive on disk it will look and act exactly the same way the web site did
that day.

7. Do depth first searches (which a user could conceivably do) rather than
breadth first (which a user could not do) so that context within the
session is kept sensible.

Any pointers, suggestions, guidelines? I'd be most appreciative of any
information. Thanks.