jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Nathan Chandler" <nathan.chand...@orange.net>
Subject Re: Simulating user load by way of variables in URL String
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2001 10:45:57 GMT
Yes - well sort of anyway.

With Gateway (e.g. WAP Gateway) in place one machine is effectively acting as a client on
behalf of all (mobile phone)handset users. The Gateway application makes initial contact with
our application and passes the calling number, e.g. Calling=4477779283423 as a parameter.
This only passed in first request. However, Gateway handles cookies so once we know who user
is (from calling number passed in first request) then we use HttpSession and cookies to maintain
state.

So typical sequence of URLs accessed bu user (hidden by Gateway of course) might be

http://www.myco.com/servlet/AServlet?Calling=4412345123456
http://www.myco.com/servlet/AServlet?pageId=somepage
http://www.myco.com/servlet/AServlet?pageId=someotherpage

So to generate realistic multi-user loading need to be able to alter the Calling param on
original hit (i.e. to denote different users) and then make calls to other URLs passing back
cookie originally received in response from first hit.

Hope that makes some sort of sense and can help in answering my original question that remains
below.

Thanks, Nathan.