jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Philippe Mouawad <philippe.moua...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: MongoDB driver
Date Sun, 23 Jul 2017 15:19:46 GMT
On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 5:09 PM, Andrey Pokhilko <apc4@ya.ru> wrote:

> Hi Philippe,
>
> My question is not about dropping, it is about usage level we know and
> _possible deprecating_ based on that. Maintaining code that is barely
> used could be unnecessary burden for the project.

I see it as a burden when the underlying protocol changes and we need to
update it frequently while not sure it is useful.
In the case of the protocols mentioned, it looks to me that those protocols
are now very stable and only require little work.

Besides they are potentially useful within Automation of a Test Plan:

   - LDAP => Create a CSV from a set of users having some LDAP attribute or
   belonging to a group
   - FTP => Getting or uploading some files
   - MAIL / SMTP => Sent a mail based on test results or test state...

Having those protocols within JMeter is interesting IMO.

> For example I have feeling that LDAP as protocol should be rarely used
> in JMeter just because protocol itself is declining (my assumption is
> based on things like
> https://trends.google.ru/trends/explore?date=all&q=ldap,oauth,openid or
> https://www.quora.com/Why-isnt-LDAP-dead-yet)
>
> From your comments I understood that you see interest on SO for all
> modules except LDAP. This matches my intuitive expectation.

I am not even sure of that. We had recently bug reports on Ldap.
I already used it within my work.
I was just mentioning the sources for "usage and popularity"

> Thanks for your analysis on usage of components, it's valuable
> information for all of us.

I don't pretend to have such a great analysis you are crediting me of
ironically or not :-)

Clearly it would have been great to know usage based on reporting as
Emilian proposed.
It would have also been great if the plugins manager was part of JMeter
core and there was an Apache repository for Core plugins which would maybe
make it possible to distribute a small bundle.
But it's not the case.

> Andrey Pokhilko
>
> On 07/23/2017 05:34 PM, Philippe Mouawad wrote:
> > Hello Andrei,
> > I don't see why we should drop elements that are not deprecated and are
> > used based on bug reports, SO questions.
> >
> > MongoDB is not in that case as we can consider we are not maintaining it
> > and it is deprecated since many months.
> >

> > Regards
> >
> > On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 4:27 PM, Andrey Pokhilko <apc4@ya.ru> wrote:
> >
> >> Based on these reasons, don't we see also worth deprecating:
> >>
> >>  1. Mail/SMTP components
> >>
> > AKAIK, they are not deprecated. And are useful, I saw several questions
> on
> > SO
> >
> >>  2. LDAP components
> >>
> > AKAIK, they are not deprecated.
> >
> >>  3. FTP
> >>
> > AKAIK, they are not deprecated. And are useful, I saw several questions
> on
> > SO
> >
> >>  4. Any of other distribution bundle modules (junit/tcp etc)
> >>
> > AKAIK, they are not deprecated, neither JUnit nor TCP which is used a lot
> > from SO questions..
> >

> >> Possible benefits for users is cleaner UI menus, smaller distribution
> >> archive size, faster JMeter startup. Do we have estimations of
> >> importance of those parts of JMeter?
> >>
> >> Andrey Pokhilko

> async
> >> was a